May 10, 2011, 11:46 AM EST
Rafael Furcal is four weeks into what was supposed to be a 4-6 week recovery from a broken left thumb, but manager Don Mattingly told Ken Gurnick of MLB.com that he “won’t be sent out on a minor-league rehab assignment until he’s able to swing right-handed without discomfort.”
According to Mattingly that means the earliest Furcal could see game action in the minors is Thursday or Friday, adding that “he’s just not ready.”
Furcal has been taking batting practice as a left-handed hitter for several days and fielded some ground balls yesterday, so the Dodgers are hopeful that any rehab assignment will be a brief one whenever he’s cleared to swing right-handed.
Jamey Carroll has done a solid job as the primary shortstop fill-in.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)