May 10, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Rafael Furcal is four weeks into what was supposed to be a 4-6 week recovery from a broken left thumb, but manager Don Mattingly told Ken Gurnick of MLB.com that he “won’t be sent out on a minor-league rehab assignment until he’s able to swing right-handed without discomfort.”
According to Mattingly that means the earliest Furcal could see game action in the minors is Thursday or Friday, adding that “he’s just not ready.”
Furcal has been taking batting practice as a left-handed hitter for several days and fielded some ground balls yesterday, so the Dodgers are hopeful that any rehab assignment will be a brief one whenever he’s cleared to swing right-handed.
Jamey Carroll has done a solid job as the primary shortstop fill-in.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)