May 10, 2011, 6:49 PM EDT
And just after Aaron suggested they start printing up playoff tickets.
Bruce Chen, who is 4-1 with a 3.59 ERA in seven starts to open the year, was placed on the disabled list Tuesday with a left lat strain.
Vin Mazzaro will be called up to start in his place Wednesday.
Chen has been a big success with his 10th major league team, going 16-8 since the beginning of 2010. The Royals were 6-1 when he started this year, with Chen’s lone defeat coming at the hands of the Rangers. He had one of his better starts last time in a 9-1 win over the Orioles.
Replacing him will be Mazzaro, who was all set to be the Kansas City’s fifth starter coming out of spring training. The Royals sent him down at the end of March because they didn’t need a No. 5 during the first week of the season, but a funny thing happened in his Triple-A tuneup, as he walked seven and allowed five runs in 2 1/3 innings against Albuquerque. The nightmare performance caused the Royals to bypass him and go to Sean O’Sullivan at the back of the rotation.
Mazzaro, though, has gotten batter lately. Over his last three starts, he has a 3.00 ERA and a 20/3 K/BB ratio in 18 innings. He’ll take on the Yankees on Wednesday and likely make at least one additional start before Chen return.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)