May 10, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Tommy Hunter appeared close to coming off the disabled list, but the Rangers right-hander aggravated his groin injury during a minor-league rehab start yesterday.
Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star Telegram reports that he’s been diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain and will be shut down for 2-3 weeks, at which point Hunter will likely have to start his rehab stint over again.
Hunter, who originally injured his groin on March 24, had a 3.73 ERA and 68/33 K/BB ratio in 128 innings for the Rangers last season before going 0-2 with a 5.56 ERA in three playoff starts.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59