May 10, 2011, 5:17 PM EST
Tommy Hunter appeared close to coming off the disabled list, but the Rangers right-hander aggravated his groin injury during a minor-league rehab start yesterday.
Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star Telegram reports that he’s been diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain and will be shut down for 2-3 weeks, at which point Hunter will likely have to start his rehab stint over again.
Hunter, who originally injured his groin on March 24, had a 3.73 ERA and 68/33 K/BB ratio in 128 innings for the Rangers last season before going 0-2 with a 5.56 ERA in three playoff starts.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)