May 10, 2011, 5:17 PM EST
Tommy Hunter appeared close to coming off the disabled list, but the Rangers right-hander aggravated his groin injury during a minor-league rehab start yesterday.
Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star Telegram reports that he’s been diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain and will be shut down for 2-3 weeks, at which point Hunter will likely have to start his rehab stint over again.
Hunter, who originally injured his groin on March 24, had a 3.73 ERA and 68/33 K/BB ratio in 128 innings for the Rangers last season before going 0-2 with a 5.56 ERA in three playoff starts.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)