May 10, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
As Matthew mentioned, Tony La Russa went to have doctors check out the condition that has left his right eye swollen and painful and has left him fatigued. The verdict: shingles, which are proving to be antibiotic resistant and which are making La Russa miserable.
As a result of it, La Russa is taking tonight’s game against the Cubs off. According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, his job will be filled with some combination of bench coach Joe Pettini, third-base coach Jose Oquendo and pitching coach Dave Duncan, each of whom “will run various aspects of game strategy.” Cardinals’ GM John Mozeliak will provide more detail later today. If you really want to see how ugly La Russa’s eye is, Strauss’ article has a pic.
It’s not clear how much time La Russa will miss, but given how stubborn he has been since this hit him — he has resisted pain medication due to the side effects and has declined previous suggestions to take time off — you have to figure that things have gotten pretty bad if he’s taking off a game. A Cubs game, no less. It’s possible that he’ll be out for a while.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)