May 10, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
As Matthew mentioned, Tony La Russa went to have doctors check out the condition that has left his right eye swollen and painful and has left him fatigued. The verdict: shingles, which are proving to be antibiotic resistant and which are making La Russa miserable.
As a result of it, La Russa is taking tonight’s game against the Cubs off. According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, his job will be filled with some combination of bench coach Joe Pettini, third-base coach Jose Oquendo and pitching coach Dave Duncan, each of whom “will run various aspects of game strategy.” Cardinals’ GM John Mozeliak will provide more detail later today. If you really want to see how ugly La Russa’s eye is, Strauss’ article has a pic.
It’s not clear how much time La Russa will miss, but given how stubborn he has been since this hit him — he has resisted pain medication due to the side effects and has declined previous suggestions to take time off — you have to figure that things have gotten pretty bad if he’s taking off a game. A Cubs game, no less. It’s possible that he’ll be out for a while.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)