May 10, 2011, 12:10 AM EST
Wells was injured while running out a grounder.
It would hardly seem to be the worst thing for the Angels if Wells needed to sit out 7-10 days and could then go get at-bats in the minors for a week. While the $21 million-per-year outfielder has hit three homers during May, he’s still batting just .212 for the month. For the season, he has four homers, 13 RBI and a 30/7 K/BB ratio in 142 at-bats.
If Wells goes on the DL, the Angels would likely call up Reggie Willits and start Bobby Abreu in left field most of the time. That’d allow the Angels to play both Maicer Izturis and Alberto Callaspo, with Callaspo typically DHing.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)