May 10, 2011, 12:10 AM EDT
Wells was injured while running out a grounder.
It would hardly seem to be the worst thing for the Angels if Wells needed to sit out 7-10 days and could then go get at-bats in the minors for a week. While the $21 million-per-year outfielder has hit three homers during May, he’s still batting just .212 for the month. For the season, he has four homers, 13 RBI and a 30/7 K/BB ratio in 142 at-bats.
If Wells goes on the DL, the Angels would likely call up Reggie Willits and start Bobby Abreu in left field most of the time. That’d allow the Angels to play both Maicer Izturis and Alberto Callaspo, with Callaspo typically DHing.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 0
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)