May 10, 2011, 12:10 AM EST
Wells was injured while running out a grounder.
It would hardly seem to be the worst thing for the Angels if Wells needed to sit out 7-10 days and could then go get at-bats in the minors for a week. While the $21 million-per-year outfielder has hit three homers during May, he’s still batting just .212 for the month. For the season, he has four homers, 13 RBI and a 30/7 K/BB ratio in 142 at-bats.
If Wells goes on the DL, the Angels would likely call up Reggie Willits and start Bobby Abreu in left field most of the time. That’d allow the Angels to play both Maicer Izturis and Alberto Callaspo, with Callaspo typically DHing.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 14
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)