May 10, 2011, 7:02 PM EDT
But this one came out of left field: replacing Wells tonight and making his first career start in the outfield is usual second baseman Howie Kendrick.
Kendrick had often shifted over to first base with Kendry Morales out, having made seven starts at the position this year. But he has only one inning of experience in the outfield in the majors, that coming in center.
The reasoning is pretty clear: manager Mike Scioscia thinks his defense is better with Maicer Izturis at second and Alberto Callaspo at third than it would be with one of those two DHing and Bobby Abreu playing left field.
The experiment could be quickly abandoned if Kendrick embarrasses himself in left field. However, this is definitely the night to give it a try. Joel Pineiro, who gets about as many grounders as any pitcher in baseball, will be on the mound against the White Sox.
Update: The Orange County Register’s Sam Miller points out that Kendrick’s previous one inning in center field wasn’t even legitimate. He was listed as the center fielder as part of a five-man infield on a play in which the Angels turned two.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)