May 11, 2011, 2:45 PM EST
Pujols told Strauss that he’s been friends with Hendry for a while now through former Cardinals GM and current Reds GM Walt Jocketty.
As an impending free agent determined to test the open market after failing to agree to a contract extension with the Cardinals during spring training Pujols also said he knew the hug would probably become news.
I figured that would happen, that they would play with it. At the end, it’s not what you do on the field. It’s what kind of person you are off the field. That’s the kind of relationship you want to build with somebody you respect. He’s on the other side. I’m on our side. I just think it’s kind of ridiculous. Three writers came and talked to me about that and the contract. Are you serious? C’mon.
Strauss notes that Hendry also laughed off the whole situation when asked about it. Hendry apparently also hugged Ryan Theriot before the game, which didn’t rile up Cardinals fans quite as much for some reason.
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” (104)
- Two thoughts about the elimination of home plate collisions (95)