May 11, 2011, 2:45 PM EDT
Pujols told Strauss that he’s been friends with Hendry for a while now through former Cardinals GM and current Reds GM Walt Jocketty.
As an impending free agent determined to test the open market after failing to agree to a contract extension with the Cardinals during spring training Pujols also said he knew the hug would probably become news.
I figured that would happen, that they would play with it. At the end, it’s not what you do on the field. It’s what kind of person you are off the field. That’s the kind of relationship you want to build with somebody you respect. He’s on the other side. I’m on our side. I just think it’s kind of ridiculous. Three writers came and talked to me about that and the contract. Are you serious? C’mon.
Strauss notes that Hendry also laughed off the whole situation when asked about it. Hendry apparently also hugged Ryan Theriot before the game, which didn’t rile up Cardinals fans quite as much for some reason.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)