And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

May 11, 2011, 6:08 AM EDT

Marlins' Johnson delivers a pitch against the Phillies in the first inning during their MLB National League baseball game in Miami

Marlins 2, Phillies 1: The pitcher’s duel was as good as advertised, as neither offense broke out against Roy Halladay or Josh Johnson, each of whom pitched well enough to win even though neither did. This one was decided on the basis of mistakes. One of them was Halladay’s, as he inexplicably walked Johnson in the third inning — the first time he had ever walked a pitcher — and watched as he came around to score on a sac fly.  In the eighth the mistake was by Jimmy Rollins whose error allowed Omar Infante to reach and then Halladay, as his wild pitch let Infante get to second before scoring on a Chris Coghlan single.

Giants 1, Diamondbacks 0: Like Halladay and Johnson, I suppose Tim Lincecum (8 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 9K) and Ian Kennedy (8 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 8K) simply don’t know how to win.  The game’s only run scores on a Cody Ross single in the bottom of the ninth.

Mets 4, Rockies 3: Mike Pelfrey allowed three hits in six innings and drove in two with an RBI double. But as the box score establishes, he knows how to win. And because he won, he was clearly better than Halladay, Johnson, Lincecum and Kennedy last night. See how this works?

Rangers 7, Athletics 2: The Rangers scored their first run of the game on a bases-loaded walk. Lawyer ball, man.

Indians 5, Rays 4: Tampa Bay battled back after being down two in the seventh, but then Joel Peralta lost the thread  in the bottom of the ninth with a walk, a single, and then an intentional walk to load the bases with no one out.  He made way for Kyle Farnsworth who, despite having a nice year so far could not have been expected to put that fire out. He induced one out on a grounder, but the subsequent bases-loaded walk to Michael Brantley to end the game was rather Farnsworthy.

Cardinals 6, Cubs 4: No runs batted in, but a 4 for 5 night for Albert Pujols is encouraging. Unless you’re into silly speculation anyway. Daniel Descalso was the hero, driving in two on a single off Kerry Wood in the eighth to break the 4-4 tie.

Nationals 7, Braves 6: We all laughed at Chip Caray’s “Line drive! Base hit! Caught out there!” call from the playoffs a couple of years ago, but he really does have a hard time picking up the trajectory of the ball off the bat. In the ninth inning of this one Brooks Conrad hit a fly ball that, had it gone out, would have tied the game. Caray’s call made it sound like the Giants just won the 1951 pennant … before it was caught by Roger Bernadina.  Just annoying.  Although not as annoying as Tim Hudson not having his best stuff and the Braves being unable to do anything against Jason Marquis until the eighth inning.  The comeback was nice, but too little, too late.

Blue Jays 7, Red Sox 6: Jon Lester didn’t have it, giving up five runs on seven hits and walking five more. I didn’t watch any of it, but the box score makes it look like an ugly one. Jose Iglesias’ first official major league at bat resulted in a strikeout on which he reached first base due to the catcher muffing it. So that’s fun.

Yankees 3, Royals 1: Derek Jeter was 2 for 4 and drove one in while A-Rod drove in two, so that should hold off the “Oh noes! A-Rod and Jeter!” articles for a couple of days. Indeed, Jeter has a seven game hitting streak in which he’s 13 for 32 (.406).  Freddy Garcia allowed one run in six innings. I watched a couple of innings of this one here and there while the Phillies game was in a commercial and I remain just as surprised today as I did ten years ago that a guy like Garcia, who looks like he exerts as little effort as he does out there, still manages to get guys out. There’s probably some sort of lesson in that somewhere.

Dodgers 10, Pirates 3: After a prolonged offensive slump the Dodgers pounced on the Buccos for ten runs on fifteen hits, including a three-run jack for Matt Kemp. Indeed, the Dodgers’ 1-4 hitters were a combined 10 for 18 with six RBI. Andrew McCutchen hit two home runs in a losing cause. Unless he has his own agenda, of course, in which case his motives are inscrutable at best. No man knows what another thinks. Not really.

Reds 7, Astros 3: Homer Bailey turns in his second straight solid outing. More than solid, really, pretty damn fantastic: seven shutout innings on five hits with 5Ks and no walks. And Joey Votto did Joey Votto things like smack multiple extra base hits and drive in runs. Aroldis Chapman was terrible, though, walking four guys and hitting another while retiring no one to start off the eighth inning. And it wasn’t the first time he has struggled this year. Indeed, he has been unable to locate the strike zone for three straight outings. Something to keep your eye on.

Brewers 8, Padres 6: San Diego spotted Milwaukee an eight run lead and, despite the comeback, that was just too much to overcome. Jonathan Lucroy was 3 for 4 with three RBI. A strong outing from Shaun Marcum last night. A strong one from Zack Greinke on Monday. It’s almost the way they drew it up over the winter.

Orioles 7, Mariners 6:  Seattle took the lead in the 13th inning but Baltimore scored two on Felix Pie and Matt Weiters singles in the bottom of the inning to give the O’s the game.

Angels 6, White Sox 2Alberto Callaspo drove in three runs. Howie Kendrick started in left field for the first time ever and didn’t get a ball hit to him.

Tigers 10, Twins 2: Someone asked me last week what I thought the chances were of Francisco Liriano having a strong outing in the wake of his no hitter. You can choose to believe me or not, but I swear that my answer was “slim and none.”  His no hitter wasn’t the result of some mechanical breakthrough or a step forward in the quality of his stuff. It just happened by good fortune and some poor offense by the White Sox. Last night he had the usual stuff working but less fortune and, despite the extra rest, he was coming off his longest ever start. Ergo: 3 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 3 BB. If the hail doesn’t come to chase him random illness doesn’t get to him, he still loses this game. Victor Martinez was 3 for 4 with a couple of doubles and 4 RBI.

1. uyf1950 - May 11, 2011 at 6:15 AM

I’m inclined to make this one of my briefer comments. The Yankees won, the Rays and Red Sox lost. It doesn’t get much better then that if you’re a Yankees fan. That’s just my opinion.

• uyf1950 - May 11, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I want to thank the 9 posters who as I write this have given my above post a thumbs up. I can only think of 2 reasons for that. 1) You agree with what I said. 2) You like that my post was brief.
      I would like to think it’s the former but something makes me believe it’s the latter. In any case it’s nice to be appreciated. That’s just my opinion.

BTW, I’m working on a much more lengthy post. It should be available within the next 30 minutes.

• yankeesfanlen - May 11, 2011 at 9:42 AM

That’s the spirit, uyf, I’m the color man anyway.And I help stuff the ballot box.

2. bigxrob - May 11, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Craig,
    Although you mentioned Pelfrey’s 2 RBI, you neglected to say “he helped his own cause”. I believe there is some sort of penalty for this omission, but I can’t seem to find my unwritten rule book at the moment to confirm.

3. droogleeddie - May 11, 2011 at 8:23 AM

“Farnsworthy”… ha!

• atlsp - May 11, 2011 at 1:13 PM

It’s worth noting that that walk last night was the first issue by Farnsworth in 16 apps this year… but that still doesn’t make it UnFarnsworthy!

4. Jonny 5 - May 11, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Craig, why must you attempt to agitate those who wish to measure pitching skill by wins? You know it will bring……. Ah, never mind. All I’m saying is thank goodness the Phills have Joe Blanton to cover for Cliff Lee. Blanton’s winning percentage is .500 and Cliff is at .400. It’s so obvious who the better deal is there huh?

5. cur68 - May 11, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I did watch the Jays v Bo Sox game. The game featured some craptastick defense and Bob Davidson behind the plate. Jay’s rookie David Cooper, batting south of the Mendoza line, committed one of those errors and then hit his first major league home run and the game winning walk off sac fly RBI, so there was that.

The Sox Had AGonz to thank for dropping a fairly routine pop-up and they had the kind of pitching that would make Nolan Ryan charge the mound. The Blue Jays had the kind of pitching that would make Ryan charge Davidson. Is that man blind?

Lester watched as the Jays executed perfect Lawyer Ball and got walked a lot. His command was so poor he never even made it look close. Sox pitching combined to hit 3 Jays and come within a whisker of hitting 2 more. Sox reliever Aceves was interesting to watch. Man can that guy sweat. He looked like he was taking a shower up there.

Drabek was better but seemed unable to convince Bob Davidson that balls over the plate just above the knees an on the corner were strikes. Inevitably there was a home run by the likes of Ortiz off Drabek and then Gonzalez off reliever Mark Rzeajsfhsjhgshgski.

Once again, Jose Bautista hit a homer to right field. He made this one more interesting as it was a screaming line drive that just snuck over the fence. He is the most interesting home run hitter in the world and worth every penny of his CURRENT contract.

The real drama in the game was Rajai Davis in the 10th; stole 2nd and then 3rd to be in position for the sac fly. He actually got 2nd on a pitch out, he is THAT quick.

Oh yes; Carl Crawford is baaaaaAAAaaaack…

• cur68 - May 11, 2011 at 9:35 AM

After coffee; that was Emmel behind the plate, not Davidson. Those guys look alike to me, I guess. So there I was wasting all that hate last night on the wrong guy. Whoever the hell it was, his strike zone was tighter than a chubby girl’s thong.

• rsnorth - May 11, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Nice summary cur68.Bautista’s home run, though, was to left where he pulls 90 percent of his homers. You may remember last year that of his 54 home runs, only 1, late in the season, went to right field.

• cur68 - May 11, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Sigh. Thanks North. I can only plead lack of coffee again. In fact there’s another error in that there post of mine; Francisco gave up that homer to Gonzalez not Mark Rzeajsfhsjhgshgski.

Did you notice that Adrian Gonzalez’s dropping of that pop up behind 1st was NOT scored an error? I guess when you’re a rookie like Cooper errors at 1st are errors but GG winning 1st basemen with natty little beards just have no chance against balls that hit their glove.

• missthemexpos - May 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM

A good summary of the game from last night, cur68. I have seen pitchers over the years work up a good sweat on the mound, but in Aceves case the water was just not dripping off his cap, it was streaming. I was expecting a temporary delay in the game for the ground crew to come out and do some repairs to the mound from all that water pouring down.

• cur68 - May 11, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Thanks for the props boys; I grateful since I’m feeling sheepish about the errors I made.

Re. Aceves; Did you see him between innings with the towel around his head and cap? That was some goofy look he had going there. How didn’t he get his spikes stuck in all that mud he was creating with the drips? He looked like a guy with his own little rain cloud over him.

• spudchukar - May 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Good stuff as usual Cur, but you failed to mention the 39 LOB by the two teams. Since it went 10 innings it probably isn’t a record, but 2 per inning per team has to be close.

6. yankeesfanlen - May 11, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Arod had bulgin’ bases set up to rake
    A tie with Lou’s grand slam record to take
    Jeter and ARod were buddies
    Instead of old fuddy-duddies
    ARod’s two RBIs are a slam half-baked.

• tomemos - May 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Do you have no ear for meter at all?

• yankeesfanlen - May 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM

If you say so, however-

Tomorrow, you try it.

7. yankeesfanlen - May 11, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Universe play of the game-9th inning,1 out, comebacker to Mo, perfect pivot to Cano, perfect pivot to Tex, double play. Honorable mention: Swish making a divearoo to save a run and a Robertson.
    Isn’t it nice when our boys play nicely together?

• phukyouk - May 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM

am i really the only one who pictured 2001 game 7 when Mo threw that ball to Cano?

• yankeesfanlen - May 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Well, maybe, but that was Soriano, not Cano, who didn’t come up til ’05

• phukyouk - May 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM

u know what i meant….

• yankeesfanlen - May 11, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Yeah, I did, but I have erased it from my memory bank.

8. msherry24 - May 11, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Personally, I would have gone with “Farnsworthian”.

• sdelmonte - May 11, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Good news, everyone…

9. BC - May 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM

But wins don’t matter. WHIP, WARP, VORP, BURP, etc. are what define the pitcher….

• cur68 - May 11, 2011 at 9:54 AM

…and BABIP (that’s a fave of mine; goofiest stat name next to BURP).

• tomemos - May 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Right. Wins don’t matter. That’s the point. Show me that they do.

Like Fiorentino, you seem to think that being sarcastic is sufficient to get you somewhere in this argument. It’s not.

• cktai - May 11, 2011 at 3:55 PM

At the risk of wasting too much effort on this, wins are different from the statistic “pitcher win”. One is what is what determines who will be world series winners, the other tries to assign the credit of a whole team performance on a single player in what is really a team sport.

10. uyf1950 - May 11, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Since one of the featured pieces of this blog today is a “glowing” analysis of Freddy Garcia. I’ve decided to take it one step further. And give the posters here a quick view of some of the stats of the current Yankees starting 5 rotation, and what would that be unless you had something to compare it to. So I’ve also decided to do the same thing for the current Red Sox starting 5 rotation. I can tell everyone’s really excited.
    First the Yankees:

Lester 2.96 53 44
    Buchholz 4.19 38.7 23
    Beckett 1.99 45.1 40
    Lackey 7.16 32.2 18
    Dice K 4.64 33 24
    Totals 201.1 156 Combined ERA: 3.93

Will these numbers continue to show the Yankees in a favorable light who knows, but at this point in time they are what they are. I purposely did not do wins and loses because I know how many of you feel about that specific stat. Anyway the main reason for doing this exercise was that I personally think Cashman deserves a pat on the back after much of what was said on this board about the “reclamation” projects he signed during FA and spring training. I’d also be lying if I said it wasn’t to take a little dig at posters like beantownsports247 who anointed himself all knowing about anything and everything that had something to do with ballplayers the Yankees and the Red Sox including their pitching staffs. That’s just my opinion. BTW, the length of this one probably makes up for the “shortness” of my first post.

11. sdelmonte - May 11, 2011 at 10:25 AM

So before I read today’s post, I got to thinking, how does Craig pick which games he watches? Clearly, last night was a no-brainer. But is there a pecking order? Are the Braves your natural inclination? How did you end up going to Yanks-Royals at the ads? Are you trying to watch every time in action start to finish at least a few times? I am curious.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 11, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I default to Braves games because, hell, I’m a fan. I switch off Braves games and look at other things, however, if the Braves are depressing me, which was the case for a lot of last night. If there is another game with a strong reason to watch, however — and Halladay vs. Johnson count — I go for that first. Games with playoff implications too, and other interesting matchups.

Last night: mostly Halladay and Johnson. I switched to the Braves for early PHI-FLA commercial breaks, but since Atlanta was playing like ass, I started switching to NY-KC, because I don’t really see much KC and it seemed like a fun matchup. Later, when I saw a tweet that the Braves were threatening, I switched back there to watch the 8th and 9th.

It’s kind of all over the map, I guess.

• natstowngreg - May 11, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Understood. Being a Nats fan and having Extra Innings on the cable can lead to the occasional wandering. Something about being able to listen to Vin Scully doing a Dodgers game or watching one of my fantasy pitchers…

BTW, did you catch C. Martinez batting for himself to lead off the bottom of the 8th? Yeah, the Nats were up by 6. Yeah, I appreciated the free out. Yeah, there was some reason grounded in manging one’s bullpen. But at some basic baseball fan level, it rubbed me the wrong way.

12. Chris Fiorentino - May 11, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Craig,

You neglected to mention the BIGGEST reason the Phillies lost last night’s game…they left the bases loaded in the 2nd and 3rd innings…once with NOBODY FREAKING OUT after an absolute BOMB from the Big Piece!!! Yeah, I know they are missing Ruiz and Utley…and I know it would have been Victorino batting 7th and Ruiz Batting 8th instead of Sardine-can and Bobby Orr. But still…can somebody hit a freaking fly ball???? That was the game right there. I knew it would come back to bite them in the ass and it certainly did. Sure, Doc’s walk of JJ was big. But if it was 3-0 or 4-0 it wouldn’t have been nearly as big and Doc would have finished that game off with no problem. Instead, they let JJ off the hook and EVERYBODY had to be perfect to win.

Three legends off to Cooperstown