May 11, 2011, 7:38 PM EDT
Shi Davidi of Canada’s Sportsnet passes along word that veteran outfielder Scott Podsednik has been granted his request for an unconditional release from the Blue Jays organization.
Podsednik signed a minor league contract with the Jays over the winter that carried a potential $1 million in total value, but an old case of plantar fasciitis caught up with him during spring training and he was forced to open the regular season on the sidelines.
His foot condition progressively got better as he moved through extended spring training, but he fell flat offensively once he was shipped off to Triple-A Las Vegas in mid-April. The speedy 35-year-old posted a .254/.366/.356 batting line across 71 plate appearances for the 51s before finally throwing in the towel on Wednesday afternoon. He tallied three stolen bases in three chances.
Podsednik will presumably seek another opportunity. He didn’t draw much attention on the free agent market this offseason, but it’s possible that a club will get desperate enough for outfield depth and take a chance.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 52
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 47
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 73
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (88)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery