May 11, 2011, 9:44 PM EST
More bad injury news for the Phillies.
According to MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki, catcher Brian Schneider was lifted in the fifth inning of Wednesday’s game against the Marlins after straining his left hamstring while running the bases. Dane Sardinha replaced him on the basepaths and will finish out the game behind the plate.
Carlos Ruiz is scheduled to return from his minor league rehab assignment on Friday and the Phillies have an off day Thursday, so the Schneider injury won’t have a major impact. But it does seem likely that the Phillies will add the veteran backstop to their long list of players on the disabled list.
Chase Utley has been out since spring training with patellar tendinitis, Roy Oswalt has been sidelined for the past few weeks with a back issue, Brad Lidge isn’t expecting to return from his rotator cuff injury until mid-June, and Jose Contreras is out with a right flexor pronator strain in his elbow.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)