May 11, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Aroldis Chapman failed to record an out last night for the second straight appearance, issuing three walks and hitting a batter before being yanked by manager Dusty Baker.
Chapman had tons of success in April despite frequently displaying diminished (for him, at least) velocity, allowing zero earned runs through his first 12 games.
However, he’s now given up six runs while recording just three outs in his last three appearances, walking or plunking nine of the 14 batters he faced.
Baker downplayed Chapman’s control problems somewhat and also made it clear that demoting him to the minors is not something being considered by the Reds, telling John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:
Chapman is struggling some to find the plate. We’ve got to find a way to get his mechanics back in the sync. He’s throwing the ball great. It’s a matter of throwing strikes. We’ll figure it out.
Fay reports that Jose Arredondo is close to coming off the disabled list after the former Angels setup man missed all of last season following Tommy John surgery, at which point the Reds’ bullpen hierarchy could change considerably. Chapman may not be headed to Triple-A, but demoting him to mop-up man for a while presumably isn’t out of the question.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)