May 11, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Aroldis Chapman failed to record an out last night for the second straight appearance, issuing three walks and hitting a batter before being yanked by manager Dusty Baker.
Chapman had tons of success in April despite frequently displaying diminished (for him, at least) velocity, allowing zero earned runs through his first 12 games.
However, he’s now given up six runs while recording just three outs in his last three appearances, walking or plunking nine of the 14 batters he faced.
Baker downplayed Chapman’s control problems somewhat and also made it clear that demoting him to the minors is not something being considered by the Reds, telling John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:
Chapman is struggling some to find the plate. We’ve got to find a way to get his mechanics back in the sync. He’s throwing the ball great. It’s a matter of throwing strikes. We’ll figure it out.
Fay reports that Jose Arredondo is close to coming off the disabled list after the former Angels setup man missed all of last season following Tommy John surgery, at which point the Reds’ bullpen hierarchy could change considerably. Chapman may not be headed to Triple-A, but demoting him to mop-up man for a while presumably isn’t out of the question.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)