May 11, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Aroldis Chapman failed to record an out last night for the second straight appearance, issuing three walks and hitting a batter before being yanked by manager Dusty Baker.
Chapman had tons of success in April despite frequently displaying diminished (for him, at least) velocity, allowing zero earned runs through his first 12 games.
However, he’s now given up six runs while recording just three outs in his last three appearances, walking or plunking nine of the 14 batters he faced.
Baker downplayed Chapman’s control problems somewhat and also made it clear that demoting him to the minors is not something being considered by the Reds, telling John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:
Chapman is struggling some to find the plate. We’ve got to find a way to get his mechanics back in the sync. He’s throwing the ball great. It’s a matter of throwing strikes. We’ll figure it out.
Fay reports that Jose Arredondo is close to coming off the disabled list after the former Angels setup man missed all of last season following Tommy John surgery, at which point the Reds’ bullpen hierarchy could change considerably. Chapman may not be headed to Triple-A, but demoting him to mop-up man for a while presumably isn’t out of the question.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)