May 11, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
“Poor David hits the ball to right-center so well and there it’s an out. They’ve gotta shorten the park up. It’s huge. I’m not saying make it a bandbox like Philadelphia, but they have to do something.”
I’m still rather vexed at people using Philly as a go-to reference as a bandbox, because after the first year or two of that park’s existence it has played rather straight-up as far as I can tell.
As for Citi Field, yeah, it’s tough. But a lot of hitters played in tough parks. How many home runs does DiMaggio hit if left field played fair in old Yankee Stadium? How many does Mays hit if he’s not in Candlestick? How many homers did the Astrodome rob guys of over the years?
Life isn’t fair. Baseball isn’t fair. Why so much time has been spent feeling sorry for “poor David Wright” is beyond me. You’d think that he was the first guy to ever have a park that wasn’t suited for him.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)