May 11, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
“Poor David hits the ball to right-center so well and there it’s an out. They’ve gotta shorten the park up. It’s huge. I’m not saying make it a bandbox like Philadelphia, but they have to do something.”
I’m still rather vexed at people using Philly as a go-to reference as a bandbox, because after the first year or two of that park’s existence it has played rather straight-up as far as I can tell.
As for Citi Field, yeah, it’s tough. But a lot of hitters played in tough parks. How many home runs does DiMaggio hit if left field played fair in old Yankee Stadium? How many does Mays hit if he’s not in Candlestick? How many homers did the Astrodome rob guys of over the years?
Life isn’t fair. Baseball isn’t fair. Why so much time has been spent feeling sorry for “poor David Wright” is beyond me. You’d think that he was the first guy to ever have a park that wasn’t suited for him.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (79)
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon