May 11, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
“Poor David hits the ball to right-center so well and there it’s an out. They’ve gotta shorten the park up. It’s huge. I’m not saying make it a bandbox like Philadelphia, but they have to do something.”
I’m still rather vexed at people using Philly as a go-to reference as a bandbox, because after the first year or two of that park’s existence it has played rather straight-up as far as I can tell.
As for Citi Field, yeah, it’s tough. But a lot of hitters played in tough parks. How many home runs does DiMaggio hit if left field played fair in old Yankee Stadium? How many does Mays hit if he’s not in Candlestick? How many homers did the Astrodome rob guys of over the years?
Life isn’t fair. Baseball isn’t fair. Why so much time has been spent feeling sorry for “poor David Wright” is beyond me. You’d think that he was the first guy to ever have a park that wasn’t suited for him.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)