May 11, 2011, 6:20 PM EST
Dodgers setup man Hong-Chih Kuo, who had struggled since returning from a back strain on May 1, was placed back on the disabled list with what Los Angeles Times writer Dylan Hernandez has been told is a physcological issue.
Hernandez says Kuo is experiencing a recurrance of the yips, which first struck back in 2009.
Kuo was supposed to be the fallback for the Dodgers in the closer’s role if Jonathan Broxton failed to turn it around this year, but he had an 11.57 ERA in 4 2/3 innings over nine appearances.
In his last outing Monday, he allowed doubles to the only two hitters he faced before being pulled.
With his velocity down, Kuo showed no signs of being ready to occupy a key role in the Dodger pen. As a result, Vicente Padilla has taken over as the team’s closer in place of the injured Broxton.
Replacing Kuo will be another talented lefty with control issues in Scott Elbert. The former first-round pick had a 5.02 ERA and a 16/9 K/BB ratio in 14 1/3 innings for Triple-A Albuquerque.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 0
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 60
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)