Jeff Francoeur explains why he gave Charlie Samuels $50,000

May 11, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT

Francoeur_Jeff

As reported this morning, former Mets clubhouse manager Charlie Samuels was arrested today, accused of gambling with mobbed-up bookies, stealing Mets’ equipment and memorabilia and committing fraud.  You know, typical New York stuff.

You may recall that last fall when this all hit the news Jeff Francoeur‘s name popped up by virtue of him writing $50,000 in checks to Samuels. No one ever suggested that Francoeur did anything wrong — and really, how could they? Look at that face! — but it did raise eyebrows.

Francoeur is in New York today facing the Yankees, and explained it to Roger Rubin of the Daily News.

For starters, $15,000 of that was the end-of-year bonus given by Francoeur to Samuels, and intended to be distributed to the various cooks, massage therapists, clubhouse attendants and the like.  Which, while that seems like a lot, is a standard kind of thing. At least in form. I really don’t know if that’s a lot of money for end of year tips, but I bet it’s within the normal range for veterans.

As for the other $35,000, well, we’ll let Francoeur explain it:

“I wrote him a $35,000 check and he gave me cash for it and I bought a car for my mom and dad. And that’s what it was all about. That’s the whole thing,” Francoeur said. “My parents help pay our bills and stuff while we’re away during the season. I didn’t want them to see what I paid for the car … I wrote him a $35,000 check and he gave me cash for it and I bought a car for my mom and dad. And that’s what it was all about. That’s the whole thing,” Francoeur said. “My parents help pay our bills and stuff while we’re away during the season. I didn’t want them to see what I paid for the car.

1. sdelmonte - May 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Would you trust a bank that pays $200 million to buy naming rights to a ballpark in Flushing with your money?

• Joe - May 11, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Maybe he could have found another bank in New York?

• Utley's Hair - May 11, 2011 at 4:07 PM

It’s not like New York’s anything like the financial capital of the world or anything.

• sdelmonte - May 11, 2011 at 4:12 PM

No, there’s only that one bank.

It sometimes feels like it, anyway.

2. b7p19 - May 11, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Wow, that is a little fishy. But look at that face!!

3. Joe - May 11, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Why do I have a sneaky suspicion that I’ll be reading about that $35K again in the future?

4. paperlions - May 11, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I might have believed Frenchie if he only said it once…..but the fact that he repeated the exact same story twice, word for word, gives it a rehearsed feel…and you don’t need to rehearse when you are telling the truth.

5. Brian Murphy - May 11, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Did he really say the same thing twice?

Oh, who cares? That smile washes away all faults.

6. atlsp - May 11, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Did Jeffy say the same thing twice just for emphasis?

• Utley's Hair - May 11, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Definitely…definitely…I’m an excellent driver…10 minutes to Wapner….

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 11, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Where is the car? This should be able to be verified (or not) pretty quickly…wish someone would buy me a $35,000 car.

8. normswifevera - May 11, 2011 at 4:05 PM

“That explains it all. Maybe someday they’ll get banks in New York City. But until that day, clubhouse managers who make $80K a year and who happen to have $35K in cash laying around are really the only option available for guys who want to by their parents a car.”

I’m going to go way out on a limb here and suggest that maybe he had the clubhouse gopher cash a check for him because he didn’t have time to go to the bank. An absurd theory, I know.

9. Jonny 5 - May 11, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Oh man, Frenchie may not even be able to get away with this one. What are the chances that he actually received more than what the check was written for? good? slightly less than good? I mean that’s usually how one rids of dirty money, sell it for less than it’s worth. And that’s what happened here more than likely. Yikes!

10. Utley's Hair - May 11, 2011 at 4:13 PM

So…a pro baseball player—who has made quite a bit more than a large number of regular joes like some of us here—needs his parents to help with his bills? Hey, Frenchie, ever here of an accountant? Or there’s this new fangled thing around here called the interwebs—you might be able to pay your bills all electronic-like and all, and it might even get there quicker than an actual check!!!!!!! And what are the odds that this $35,000 car is a Yugo?

(Awaiting frankvzappa’s comment on Big Brother and the internets….)

11. ezwriter69 - May 11, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Imagine the reaction if, say, Milton Bradley had done the exact same thing… In the court of public opinion or the real one, justice is a lot of things, but blind ain’t one of them.

• xmatt0926x - May 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Milton Bradley would be trashed relentlessly. Why? Because of race? Maybe soem of it, but mostly because he’s been a miserable creep for years everywhere he has been and has a long history of bad behavior. But forget the facts…..It’s all race. Happy now? Guess I’m just another person who has it out for poor ol’ Milton. Man, if people just understood him better………and didn’t gang up on the poor fella…….

12. atlsp - May 11, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Furthermore, is it insulting to his wife that his parents still pay his bills?

13. jwbiii - May 11, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Why even answer the question at all? Or why not say something meaningless, like, “Hey! I’m a nice guy and a great tipper! Just ask any of the service people at your nearest Delta Sky Club®!”

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS