Joe Mauer: “I wish I knew when I would be back”

May 11, 2011, 12:51 PM EDT

Minnesota Twins Workout Sessions Getty Images

Joe Mauer took batting practice prior to last night’s game, but told reporters that there’s still no timetable for his return despite “feeling a lot better.”

Here’s more from Mauer on his status:

Today was kind of my first day getting on the field a little bit, moving around, and it was a good day. That [viral infection] really did push me back quite a bit. When it was all said and done, I lost around 15 pounds. I lost a lot of strength, so that probably pushed me back a week or a couple weeks.

I’m feeling a lot better now. I’m getting my strength back and my weight back, so hopefully I can get back on the field. You’ve got to get back into baseball shape. But yeah, I still got some work to do, and I wish I knew when I would be back, and I know everybody else wishes too, but you just got to keep going in the right direction.

Mauer and Twins trainer Rick McWane have both admitted that he wasn’t physically ready for Opening Day due to offseason knee surgery, but unsuccessfully played anyway until shutting it down after nine games.

In his absence Drew Butera, Steve Holm, and Rene Rivera have hit a combined .102 with zero homers and a .136 slugging percentage. For comparison, National League pitchers have hit .133 with a .167 slugging percentage this season.

1. missthemexpos - May 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM

No wonder the National League doesn’t have the Designated Hitter, what with all those sluggers/pitchers. On the other hand, maybe the twins back-up catchers just stink.

• Andrew - May 11, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Drew Butera is probably the worst hitter in the majors that doesn’t pitch. Steve Holm and Rene Rivera aren’t great themselves. Although the entire Twins roster has been bad so far this year.

• ThatGuy - May 11, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Should have never traded Jose Morales. The guy could atleast hit his weight and was only a slightly below avg hitter for a catcher. Butera is a below average hitter for a pitcher.

2. BC - May 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Wow. For $180mil, the timing couldn’t be worse.

• schrutebeetfarms - May 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Well with the way the rest of the Twins are hitting, pitching, fielding and running the bases. Mauer would have to hit .800 to even make a difference at this point.

• swisher4mayor - May 11, 2011 at 5:21 PM

haha yea i agree with schrutebeetfarms. Mauer is not gonna make much of a difference, especially since we don’t know how he will be playing this year.

3. minnesconsin - May 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM

there just isn’t anything to like about this team right now. was just out for my lunchtime stroll downtown and all the positive aura that once surrounded target field on game day is seemingly gone. ticket brokers must be dying, you see guys with just stacks of tickets selling a cheap seat every now and then for $10, not much else. cruel reality of sports in this town.

• schrutebeetfarms - May 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM

But poetic justice for ticket brokers who buy up all the seats and then over-charge for them.
      That’s the bright side of it.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4157)