May 11, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
Remember last fall how it was revealed that Charlie Samuels, the Mets longtime clubhouse manager/travelling secretary was running a gambling ring, stealing Mets’ memorabilia, skimming hotel money and living way, way beyond his means? Yeah, well, he’s going to be arrested today and charged with theft and many, many other things, I’m sure.
The thing that strikes me the most about it: he appeared to be honest on his taxes, claiming as much as $700,000 in income despite his $80,000 salary. I can’t decide if that’s the smartest or the dumbest thing ever. I guess it keeps him out of a federal tax beef, but it also may be one of the things that caused him to the subject of the gambling probe in the first place.
The lesson, kids: always cheat on your taxes.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)