Mets former clubhouse manager to be arrested today

May 11, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT

Charlie Samuels

Remember last fall how it was revealed that Charlie Samuels, the Mets longtime clubhouse manager/travelling secretary was running a gambling ring, stealing Mets’ memorabilia, skimming hotel money and living way, way beyond his means? Yeah, well, he’s going to be arrested today and charged with theft and many, many other things, I’m sure.

For those in need of a refresher, we talked about it all last November here, here, here, here and here.

The thing that strikes me the most about it: he appeared to be honest on his taxes, claiming as much as $700,000 in income despite his $80,000 salary.  I can’t decide if that’s the smartest or the dumbest thing ever. I guess it keeps him out of a federal tax beef, but it also may be one of the things that caused him to the subject of the gambling probe in the first place.

The lesson, kids: always cheat on your taxes.

1. commonsense365 - May 11, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Another great story from the cesspool of queens

• kellyb9 - May 11, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Thumbs up really? Consider me the one Phillies fan to ever admit this openly, but I sincerely hope that the Mets bounce back from this funk sooner than later. I really did enjoy that rivalry for the few years that both teams were competitive. To me, it’s a lot more interesting when the whole division has a chance at making it to the playoffs. It makes the divisional games that much more exciting in May and June.

2. halladaysbiceps - May 11, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I also hear that he will be charged with stealing the heart and desire of the Mutts to play baseball.

3. frankvzappa - May 11, 2011 at 11:16 AM

considering the IRS is an illegal institution, nobody has to pay any taxes, and they shouldnt because it all goes into the pockets of the people who own the Federal Reserve private bank…all you have to do is find a jury that isnt retarded and mesmerized by propaganda to realize the truth when they here it…

• Utley's Hair - May 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM

—sigh—

• Joe - May 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

That tinfoil hat looks great on you.

• Reflex - May 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Thank god juries and lawyers understand the law as it is written, rather than the law as they might wish it were written.

• deathmonkey41 - May 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Are you really Milton Street?

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate