May 11, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
Remember last fall how it was revealed that Charlie Samuels, the Mets longtime clubhouse manager/travelling secretary was running a gambling ring, stealing Mets’ memorabilia, skimming hotel money and living way, way beyond his means? Yeah, well, he’s going to be arrested today and charged with theft and many, many other things, I’m sure.
The thing that strikes me the most about it: he appeared to be honest on his taxes, claiming as much as $700,000 in income despite his $80,000 salary. I can’t decide if that’s the smartest or the dumbest thing ever. I guess it keeps him out of a federal tax beef, but it also may be one of the things that caused him to the subject of the gambling probe in the first place.
The lesson, kids: always cheat on your taxes.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 168
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (170)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)