May 11, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
Remember last fall how it was revealed that Charlie Samuels, the Mets longtime clubhouse manager/travelling secretary was running a gambling ring, stealing Mets’ memorabilia, skimming hotel money and living way, way beyond his means? Yeah, well, he’s going to be arrested today and charged with theft and many, many other things, I’m sure.
The thing that strikes me the most about it: he appeared to be honest on his taxes, claiming as much as $700,000 in income despite his $80,000 salary. I can’t decide if that’s the smartest or the dumbest thing ever. I guess it keeps him out of a federal tax beef, but it also may be one of the things that caused him to the subject of the gambling probe in the first place.
The lesson, kids: always cheat on your taxes.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 30
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 9
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 40
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (109)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save