May 11, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
Remember last fall how it was revealed that Charlie Samuels, the Mets longtime clubhouse manager/travelling secretary was running a gambling ring, stealing Mets’ memorabilia, skimming hotel money and living way, way beyond his means? Yeah, well, he’s going to be arrested today and charged with theft and many, many other things, I’m sure.
The thing that strikes me the most about it: he appeared to be honest on his taxes, claiming as much as $700,000 in income despite his $80,000 salary. I can’t decide if that’s the smartest or the dumbest thing ever. I guess it keeps him out of a federal tax beef, but it also may be one of the things that caused him to the subject of the gambling probe in the first place.
The lesson, kids: always cheat on your taxes.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 48
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)