May 11, 2011, 11:07 PM EDT
Angels first baseman Kendrys Morales got a second opinion on his slow-healing ankle fracture on Wednesday afternoon in Vail, Colorado. He did not return to Anaheim bearing good news.
According to Sam Miller of the Orange County Register, Angels general manager Tony Reagins acknowledged Wednesday night that Morales needs another ankle surgery to clear up the scar tissue that has formed around his original fracture and will miss a minimum of six months.
In other words, the talented 27-year-old can safely be written off for the rest of the 2011 season.
Morales posted a .924 OPS, 34 home runs and 108 RBI in a breakout 2009 campaign, but he hasn’t played in a major league game since last May and won’t be healthy again until the winter rolls around.
Morales is earning $2.975 million this season via arbitration. He will become a free agent after 2013.
Mark Trumbo, 25, will handle starting first base duties for the rest of the year. He’s turned in a decent .270/.311/.486 batting line, six home runs and 17 RBI in 119 plate appearances so far this season.
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 26
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (112)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)