May 11, 2011, 1:33 PM EDT
We did the reader questions on HBT Daily an hour ago or so. Here are the leftovers. Which, like pizza and lasagna and Thanksfiving stuff, is better than when they were served fresh. There were not quite as many questions this week since we did it on such short notice, but some good ones all the same.
Q: Can the Phillies find a way to add a consistent bat to the line-up to protect Howard?
Yes. As soon as Chase Utley comes back. Well, OK, that’s not protection, because protection is bunk, but it is adding a bat, and the return of Utley hitting the daylights out of the ball is way more likely then Philly finding a big bat on the trade market. Because there really aren’t any. Seriously: the best you can hope for is maybe a Josh Willingham/Jeff Francoeur type, and I don’t see that as a game-changer.
Q: Who wins in a fight? Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, or Miguel Cabrera?
Elijah Craig. Who was a great, great man.
Q: Why am I still an Astros fan?
Because you know that when Jim Crane takes over as owner this summer he’s going to fire Ed Wade.
Q: I was going to ask about my status for tonight’s game, but you said HBT and not SBT.
This question refers to the idea this questioner — @MrWorkrate — had a few days ago: NBC launching SoftballTalk. Which is brilliant, frankly. We could tackle all the tough issues, such as how attenuated can the relationship be before the player is truly considered a ringer? What one piece of equipment purchased by your IT guy/third baseman makes him cross the line from “committed player” to “softball douche?” (I’m thinking big elbow pad). How many times can the guy from accounting make the “hey Alice, does your husband play softball too” joke before it’s justifiable homicide? (we passed that point years ago). Lots of issues floating around softball. Ripe for explanation at SoftballTalk.
Q: If a player has pain in his shoulder & numbness in his hands during spring training, when do you pony up for the MRI?
This question was asked by Twitter’s fake Frank Wren, clearly in reference to Jason Heyward‘s current issues. I just wish the real Frank Wren would have actually considered it. Because, really, I’m getting awfully tired of Jason Heyward being described as totally healthy until the exact moment he isn’t, after which everyone says “well, clearly he has been hurting for a long time! Look at his awful batting line!” Grrr.
Q: If you had to choose one of Bourbon or Baseball, for the rest of your life, which would you choose?
Depends. Can I switch to scotch?
Won’t be Montero, because I don’t think I’ve ever met a Diamondbacks fan, and someone would have to vote for him. Selig will force Bruce Bochy to add him to the roster to placate the folks in Phoenix, however. My guess would be Posey. Everyone loves Buster. Who was out on that play at second base in the NLDS. Thrown out by Brian McCann. The best catcher in the National League.
Q: Is Brandon Phillips the best all-around 2nd baseman in baseball?
I’m coming around to that idea. At least if, with the right kind of eyes, we can look and honestly say that we’ve seen Chase Utley’s high-water mark —that place where his wave finally broke and rolled back.
That’s all we got this week. We’ll try to give you a bit more notice next week.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)