May 11, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Mike Scioscia surpassed 1,000 career victories this week and Ozzie Guillen was asked to describe the differences between him and the Angels manager:
He weighs 200 pounds more than me. He’s bald, I’m not. He reads the scouting report, I not. He has his own way.
Among active managers Scioscia trails only Joe Girardi and Charlie Manuel with a .550 winning percentage, while Guillen ranks seventh at .524 in between Terry Francona and Dusty Baker.
Also, as a formerly skinny shortstop who’s now a plenty portly manager himself Guillen has a lot of nerve picking on Scioscia’s weight. Of course, “Guillen has a lot of nerve …” could refer to just about anything the White Sox manager says, which is why he’s the all-time leader in “Quote of the Day” appearances.
“He has his own way.”
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 1
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 24
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 43
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 18
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)