May 11, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Mike Scioscia surpassed 1,000 career victories this week and Ozzie Guillen was asked to describe the differences between him and the Angels manager:
He weighs 200 pounds more than me. He’s bald, I’m not. He reads the scouting report, I not. He has his own way.
Among active managers Scioscia trails only Joe Girardi and Charlie Manuel with a .550 winning percentage, while Guillen ranks seventh at .524 in between Terry Francona and Dusty Baker.
Also, as a formerly skinny shortstop who’s now a plenty portly manager himself Guillen has a lot of nerve picking on Scioscia’s weight. Of course, “Guillen has a lot of nerve …” could refer to just about anything the White Sox manager says, which is why he’s the all-time leader in “Quote of the Day” appearances.
“He has his own way.”
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 16
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 24
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 37
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL