May 11, 2011, 1:18 PM EST
Mike Scioscia surpassed 1,000 career victories this week and Ozzie Guillen was asked to describe the differences between him and the Angels manager:
He weighs 200 pounds more than me. He’s bald, I’m not. He reads the scouting report, I not. He has his own way.
Among active managers Scioscia trails only Joe Girardi and Charlie Manuel with a .550 winning percentage, while Guillen ranks seventh at .524 in between Terry Francona and Dusty Baker.
Also, as a formerly skinny shortstop who’s now a plenty portly manager himself Guillen has a lot of nerve picking on Scioscia’s weight. Of course, “Guillen has a lot of nerve …” could refer to just about anything the White Sox manager says, which is why he’s the all-time leader in “Quote of the Day” appearances.
“He has his own way.”
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)