May 11, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Mike Scioscia surpassed 1,000 career victories this week and Ozzie Guillen was asked to describe the differences between him and the Angels manager:
He weighs 200 pounds more than me. He’s bald, I’m not. He reads the scouting report, I not. He has his own way.
Among active managers Scioscia trails only Joe Girardi and Charlie Manuel with a .550 winning percentage, while Guillen ranks seventh at .524 in between Terry Francona and Dusty Baker.
Also, as a formerly skinny shortstop who’s now a plenty portly manager himself Guillen has a lot of nerve picking on Scioscia’s weight. Of course, “Guillen has a lot of nerve …” could refer to just about anything the White Sox manager says, which is why he’s the all-time leader in “Quote of the Day” appearances.
“He has his own way.”
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)