May 11, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Mike Scioscia surpassed 1,000 career victories this week and Ozzie Guillen was asked to describe the differences between him and the Angels manager:
He weighs 200 pounds more than me. He’s bald, I’m not. He reads the scouting report, I not. He has his own way.
Among active managers Scioscia trails only Joe Girardi and Charlie Manuel with a .550 winning percentage, while Guillen ranks seventh at .524 in between Terry Francona and Dusty Baker.
Also, as a formerly skinny shortstop who’s now a plenty portly manager himself Guillen has a lot of nerve picking on Scioscia’s weight. Of course, “Guillen has a lot of nerve …” could refer to just about anything the White Sox manager says, which is why he’s the all-time leader in “Quote of the Day” appearances.
“He has his own way.”
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)