May 11, 2011, 3:16 PM EDT
After getting second and third opinions on his injury, including a trip to see Dr. James Andrews, the A’s announced today that Dallas Braden will undergo surgery to repair a torn capsule in his left shoulder.
At the very least Braden won’t be pitching again in 2011 and his status for 2012 is in serious question.
Braden, who pitched a perfect game on May 9 of last year and also made headlines for his spat with Alex Rodriguez over ownership of the mound in Oakland, has a 4.16 ERA in 491 career innings and will be 28 years old in August. Tyson Ross will continue to take Braden’s spot in the A’s rotation after allowing just six runs over 24 innings in his first four starts.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 81
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)