May 11, 2011, 3:16 PM EDT
After getting second and third opinions on his injury, including a trip to see Dr. James Andrews, the A’s announced today that Dallas Braden will undergo surgery to repair a torn capsule in his left shoulder.
At the very least Braden won’t be pitching again in 2011 and his status for 2012 is in serious question.
Braden, who pitched a perfect game on May 9 of last year and also made headlines for his spat with Alex Rodriguez over ownership of the mound in Oakland, has a 4.16 ERA in 491 career innings and will be 28 years old in August. Tyson Ross will continue to take Braden’s spot in the A’s rotation after allowing just six runs over 24 innings in his first four starts.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 22
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 138
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)