May 11, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT
In some serious need of outfield depth with Jason Heyward possibly facing a DL stint because of a sore right shoulder, the Braves have turned to former All-Star Ryan Klesko.
To pitch batting practice.
Klesko, who retired in 2007 after eight seasons with the Braves, seven with the Padres and one with the Giants, threw BP to Braves hitters prior to Wednesday’s game against the Nationals.
He said he’s been throwing BP for high school and college teams and that he’s done so for the Giants in spring training in the past. Klesko never pitched in the majors, but he was a big-time pitching prospect in high school before hurting his arm.
“I can throw breaking balls, curveballs and cutters and game simulation if they need me on occasion,” he told the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)