May 11, 2011, 5:58 PM EST
Victor Martinez has been red-hot since coming off the disabled list on May 5 and particularly so this week. In Wednesday’s win over the Twins, he had three hits and three RBI for the third straight game, making him only the 11th player to accompish such a feat in the last 30 years.
Mike Greenwell (Red Sox) – June 19-21, 1988
Robin Ventura (White Sox) – Aug. 2-5, 1992
Joe Carter (Blue Jays) – May 16-18, 1994
Cal Ripken Jr. (Orioles) – Sept. 21-23, 1995
Steve Finley (Diamondbacks) – June 1-4, 1999
Kevin Millar (Marlins) – June 30-July 3, 1999
Jeff DaVanon (Angels) – June 1-4, 2003
Alfonso Soriano (Rangers) – May 4-7, 2005
Cody Ross (Marlins) – July 4-7, 2008
Hanley Ramirez (Marlins) – May 1-4, 2010
Martinez went 9-for-12 with two homers, 10 RBI and three walks during the stretch, which isn’t quite as impressive as some of the competition.
Finley had the highest OPS over the three games, a 2.598 mark for going 11-for-14 with three doubles, a triple and three homers. DaVanon had a whopping six homers in his three games, while Soriano had five. Ross had the next-to-worst OPS of the 11, but he topped everyone else here with 14 RBI.
Martinez will get a day off Thursday before attempting to extend the streak Friday against Luke Hochevar and the Royals.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)