May 11, 2011, 5:58 PM EDT
Victor Martinez has been red-hot since coming off the disabled list on May 5 and particularly so this week. In Wednesday’s win over the Twins, he had three hits and three RBI for the third straight game, making him only the 11th player to accompish such a feat in the last 30 years.
Mike Greenwell (Red Sox) – June 19-21, 1988
Robin Ventura (White Sox) – Aug. 2-5, 1992
Joe Carter (Blue Jays) – May 16-18, 1994
Cal Ripken Jr. (Orioles) – Sept. 21-23, 1995
Steve Finley (Diamondbacks) – June 1-4, 1999
Kevin Millar (Marlins) – June 30-July 3, 1999
Jeff DaVanon (Angels) – June 1-4, 2003
Alfonso Soriano (Rangers) – May 4-7, 2005
Cody Ross (Marlins) – July 4-7, 2008
Hanley Ramirez (Marlins) – May 1-4, 2010
Martinez went 9-for-12 with two homers, 10 RBI and three walks during the stretch, which isn’t quite as impressive as some of the competition.
Finley had the highest OPS over the three games, a 2.598 mark for going 11-for-14 with three doubles, a triple and three homers. DaVanon had a whopping six homers in his three games, while Soriano had five. Ross had the next-to-worst OPS of the 11, but he topped everyone else here with 14 RBI.
Martinez will get a day off Thursday before attempting to extend the streak Friday against Luke Hochevar and the Royals.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 5
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 29
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 68
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)