May 11, 2011, 5:58 PM EDT
Victor Martinez has been red-hot since coming off the disabled list on May 5 and particularly so this week. In Wednesday’s win over the Twins, he had three hits and three RBI for the third straight game, making him only the 11th player to accompish such a feat in the last 30 years.
Mike Greenwell (Red Sox) – June 19-21, 1988
Robin Ventura (White Sox) – Aug. 2-5, 1992
Joe Carter (Blue Jays) – May 16-18, 1994
Cal Ripken Jr. (Orioles) – Sept. 21-23, 1995
Steve Finley (Diamondbacks) – June 1-4, 1999
Kevin Millar (Marlins) – June 30-July 3, 1999
Jeff DaVanon (Angels) – June 1-4, 2003
Alfonso Soriano (Rangers) – May 4-7, 2005
Cody Ross (Marlins) – July 4-7, 2008
Hanley Ramirez (Marlins) – May 1-4, 2010
Martinez went 9-for-12 with two homers, 10 RBI and three walks during the stretch, which isn’t quite as impressive as some of the competition.
Finley had the highest OPS over the three games, a 2.598 mark for going 11-for-14 with three doubles, a triple and three homers. DaVanon had a whopping six homers in his three games, while Soriano had five. Ross had the next-to-worst OPS of the 11, but he topped everyone else here with 14 RBI.
Martinez will get a day off Thursday before attempting to extend the streak Friday against Luke Hochevar and the Royals.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 260
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 29
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (259)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)