May 11, 2011, 5:58 PM EDT
Victor Martinez has been red-hot since coming off the disabled list on May 5 and particularly so this week. In Wednesday’s win over the Twins, he had three hits and three RBI for the third straight game, making him only the 11th player to accompish such a feat in the last 30 years.
Mike Greenwell (Red Sox) – June 19-21, 1988
Robin Ventura (White Sox) – Aug. 2-5, 1992
Joe Carter (Blue Jays) – May 16-18, 1994
Cal Ripken Jr. (Orioles) – Sept. 21-23, 1995
Steve Finley (Diamondbacks) – June 1-4, 1999
Kevin Millar (Marlins) – June 30-July 3, 1999
Jeff DaVanon (Angels) – June 1-4, 2003
Alfonso Soriano (Rangers) – May 4-7, 2005
Cody Ross (Marlins) – July 4-7, 2008
Hanley Ramirez (Marlins) – May 1-4, 2010
Martinez went 9-for-12 with two homers, 10 RBI and three walks during the stretch, which isn’t quite as impressive as some of the competition.
Finley had the highest OPS over the three games, a 2.598 mark for going 11-for-14 with three doubles, a triple and three homers. DaVanon had a whopping six homers in his three games, while Soriano had five. Ross had the next-to-worst OPS of the 11, but he topped everyone else here with 14 RBI.
Martinez will get a day off Thursday before attempting to extend the streak Friday against Luke Hochevar and the Royals.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)