Willy Aybar was imprisoned for beating his wife back in January

May 11, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT

Rays' Aybar drives in the game-winning run against the Angels during their MLB American League baseball game in St. Petersburg

This morning I made a joke about Willy Aybar signing with Edmonton in the independent leagues, saying that he was being sent to baseball Siberia. Well, if this report is true, baseball Siberia is way too good for him.  Real Siberia is too good for him.  Frankly, he can take a flying leap into the abyss for all I care:

Yesterday Willy Aybar signed with the Edmonton Capitals of the Independent North American League. We had been wondering why no Major League team would even give Aybar a minor league deal. Turns out it was because Aybar was sentenced to three months in prison in the Dominican Republic after he beat his wife. Aybar’s wife ended up in intensive care for an extended period of time, in critical condition.

That comes from Rays Index, which has a translation of a Dominican Republic news report from back in January. Rays Index infers from the article that Aybar just signed because he was only released from jail a few weeks ago and speculates that he was signed in Canada because he may have had trouble getting a visa to come to the United States given his record.

I don’t know how any of that works. All I know for sure is that I hope to never see Willie Aybar in the major leagues again.

1. rollinghighwayblues - May 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM

How does this man only get “sentenced” for three months in prison while he single handedly put his wife in ICU? Go to hell, all woman beaters. You have no spot in society.

2. IdahoMariner - May 11, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I wanted to go with “real men hit baseballs, not women…” (clearly, I still went with it, there it is right there in black and white)…but seriously, what is it that makes someone think it’s ok to do this? I mean, besides only three months in jail? D-bag.

3. IdahoMariner - May 11, 2011 at 3:25 PM

….and I hope that this makes news in Canada, specifically, anywhere the Capitals play, so that any women he tries to hook up with are forewarned that hooking up might include a beating.

4. ted1sheckler - May 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM

its a different culture. get off your indignant high horses. author included. if you have no skeletons in your closet, by all means, throw stones. no, I’m not codoning it. just sick of all the holier than thou crap.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 11, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Yeah, let he who has not beaten his wife into an intensive care unit cast the first stone.

Jackass.

• Reflex - May 11, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I’m real big on understanding and accepting other cultures. Where that breaks down is when by doing so one permits atrocities to occur. Mysogeny, racism, homophobia, slavery, etc, will never be accepted by me regardless of the culture it occurs in. What would be inconsistent, however, would be stating this without acknowleding that all these things have a prominent place in my own culture’s history, and in fact still go on in some areas in this country to this day.

Its never ok.

• 5thbase - May 11, 2011 at 4:06 PM

1. It’s just plain stupid to make this a cultural acceptance issue. Stupid is too light of a word actually.

2. If you’re big into not criticizing anyone for any reason, stfu with your criticisms of people finding wife beating unacceptable.

As to the story …

Unfortunately, although lots of athletes do horrible things it seems they often only pay for it when they suck anyway. This guy will never play in the majors again but the skeptic in me thinks less of this has to do with the crime than his general suckiness as a player. I will always love Colangelo for sending Kidd to the armpit of the country and NBA after he hit his wife. Don’t see that kind of stand too often.

• indaburg - May 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM

My family is from the Dominican Republic and beating your wife into the ICU is NOT an accepted cultural practice. Unfortunately, part of the culture in the DR is corruption, and I’m sure Aybar coated the hands of many officials with cold hard cash to get a light sentence. According to the article, this was not his first offense.

I hope he never steps foot in this country again. I can’t think of a punishment bad enough for him. He always seemed like such a nice guy when he was with the Rays. Appearances can be so deceiving.

5. atlsp - May 11, 2011 at 3:46 PM

A lot of Braves fans had high hopes for him in ’07 after acquiring him from the Dodgers the previous season, but he went AWOL in Spring Training and we found out in April that he was actually in a treatment facility after his agent said he had been struggling with drinking and drugs.

He was suspended until August of that year and shortly thereafter had season-ending wrist surgery. The Braves then traded him to the Rays in the offseason.

6. uncommon1 - May 11, 2011 at 4:00 PM

@ ted1sheckler

When comparing myself to a wifebeater, you’re damn right I’m on my high horse. In much of Eastern Europe, child prostitution is a legitimate business. Should I be ok with it because “its a different culture?”

7. Jonny 5 - May 11, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Critical condition.. Wow, what a POS.

8. BC - May 11, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Good. Hope he plays the rest of his career in Edmonton. Or the California Penal League. Or the Penal League for whatever state he’s from.
    Hey, my ex wife and I had a lot of shouting matches, and there were times when I drank too much and it coincided with an argument. But I never would THINK of laying a hand on her (or crowbar, or whatever else Aybar used), even if I got hit first. You just don’t DO that. Can’t say I was perfect – very far from it – and there were many many unprintable words and expressions I said, but c’mon, Willie, be a human being. Putting someone in ICU does nothing good (with the possible exception of the recipient of the beatdown pointing a loaded gun at your head, and you’re trying to save your a$$).
    Someone should send some heavies after Aybar and have him see how he likes a few right crosses to the face. Maybe a shovel over the head for good measure. Dummy.

9. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 11, 2011 at 4:23 PM

If only we could turn guys like this over to Marsellus Wallace:

I’ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin’ n***ers, who’ll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin’, hillbilly boy? I ain’t through with you by a damn sight. I’ma get medieval on your ass.

10. ezwriter69 - May 11, 2011 at 4:34 PM

As many of you may recognize, Ted Sheckler is a character name used by Jim Norton before he got booted from the Opie and Anthony show… I just emailed OandA with the vile post above, they should know about it, because they are linked with the name without doubt… and if it’s really Norton just promoting himself as a “joke”, this should get blown up on Facebook or whatever, anyone considering him for a gig needs this to be the first hit when he’s Googled… and imnsho, he needs to never get a gig again… If it’s some other idiot imitating the shtick, Norton needs to know about it anyway, so he can at least issue a disclaimer or something.
    This is truly vile stuff…

11. cur68 - May 11, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Well, shit. I’m still going home to Edmonton see my folks and friends but I’m crossing taking in a ball game off my list. I’ve spent time looking after the premature delivery of a pregnancy due to a beating; it was a mugging but it all comes to the same thing as far as I’m concerned. Some people should NEVER be allowed near the rest of humanity again. Send his ass to Siberia for real.

12. clydeserra - May 11, 2011 at 5:38 PM

I don’t know the particulars, but generally, its harder to get a visa to canada if you have a record. They will not let you in the country if you have a DUI, without a proper waiver.

13. rebarratige - May 11, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Regarding the visa issue – I think he’d still have to get a visa for road games in the US (five of the eight teams in the NAL are located stateside). Based on my comprehensive five-minute study of the subject, a Class B-1 “Business Visitor” visa is required for foreign-citizen athletes entering the US to compete.

This doesn’t mean that he wouldn’t be able to obtain that visa (I don’t know how kindly consular officers look on convictions for violent assault, my guess is “not favorably”), but he would probably still need it.

1. H. Pence (2182)