May 12, 2011, 9:19 PM EST
Eric Chavez had an enjoyable Thursday.
According to Kieran Daryc of ESPN New York, the veteran third baseman had the protective walking boot removed from his left foot and was also told by doctors that he never actually suffered a fracture — only a deep bone bruise.
The Yankees’ team physicians are expecting Chavez to be ready for full baseball activities in about three weeks. He will stick to working out in the weight room and a training pool until then.
“When I went and saw the doctor, it was about as good a diagnosis as I could get,” Chavez told reporters Thursday afternoon. “Just basically dealing with a deep bone bruise and the doc feels pretty good that in two or three weeks it’s gonna feel good. Hopefully it’s just a hiccup and I can come back and pick up where I left off.”
Chavez had a healthy .303/.410/.424 batting line with three extra-base hits and six RBI over his first 39 plate appearances in pinstripes. He was also doing a fine job defensively at third base when called upon.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)