May 12, 2011, 12:25 AM EDT
Batting third in just his fifth major league game, Eric Hosmer played the hero for the Royals on Wednesday, hitting his first major league homer and delivering a sac fly in the top of the 11th as part of a 4-3 win over the Yankees.
Hosmer’s fourth-inning homer gave the Royals their only run in seven innings against A.J. Burnett. They tied it up 2-2 in the eighth on a Wilson Betemit RBI single off David Robertson, and took a 3-2 lead in the top of the 10th when Jeff Francoeur doubled in Hosmer, who had reached on a walk.
The Royals, though, failed to hold the lead from there. Joakim Soria, not at all the dominating presence he’s been in the past, blew his second save after leaving a curve up to Curtis Granderson. The result was a game-tying RBI single.
But the Royals didn’t just roll over and die, as would have been their habit in years past. Soria got out of the inning, and a walk, a sac bunt, a single and Hosmer’s sac fly put Kansas City back ahead in the 11th.
Called in to pitch the bottom of the 11th was sidearmer Louis Coleman in his seventh big-league appearance. He got a flyout from Alex Rodriguez for the first out and then struck out Eduardo Nunez (who was filling in for the injured Robinson Cano) and Nick Swisher to end the game for his first career save.
Hosmer, who had his best night to date, is 4-for-16 with three RBI and five walks since his callup. His homer tonight was the lone hit surrendered by Burnett, who just hasn’t been getting the typical Yankee starter run support of late.
Soria’s run was the only one allowed in seven innings by the Royals pen. The Yankees had chances to take control of the game early off Vin Mazzaro, who was taking the injured Bruce Chen’s start, but he managed to hold the Bombers to two runs despite allowing six hits and walking four.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)