May 12, 2011, 3:38 PM EST
I really hate the black Mets uniforms. It screams “we want to sell these so, so bad!” And it’s not like there was anything wrong with the classic Mets unis. Indeed, they are among the best in baseball, being both handsome and — with their stylistic nods to the Yankees (pinstripes) Giants (orange) and Dodgers (blue) — highly symbolic of New York baseball history.
Yet they went with black. And today Paul Lukas — ESPN’s uniform expert, die-hard Mets fan and supreme hater of the black Mets jersey — tells the story of how the Mets got their black on.
He does it via an interview with the man who created the look, Bob Halfacre. There is a lot of talk in there about how the idea came to fruition — the disgraced Charlie Samuels played a big role — but Halfacre’s own inspiration is at least somewhat less craven than I imagined the decision to be:
My thought was this: I’ve only been to New York three or four times in my life, but what I remember is shadows. You have all these skyscrapers, so everything has shadows. You live there, so you probably take it for granted, but to me it was unique. City of shadows. One side of the street is sunny and warm, the other side is in shadow and cold. Everywhere you go in New York, there’s shadows. So I thought it was the perfect logo for a drop shadow, just to add a bit of depth.
Nice, but the black jerseys still suck. Go to the classic look all the time. Please.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)