May 12, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Ike Davis was hopeful that he could return to the lineup after missing just a few days with his calf injury, but the Mets have placed him on the disabled list … and are now calling it a left ankle sprain and bone bruise.
Calf, ankle. Same difference.
To replace Davis on the roster Fernando Martinez has been called up from Triple-A. Despite seemingly being around forever Martinez is still just 22 years old, but his prospect stock has gradually declined during the past couple seasons.
However, he was hitting .292 with three homers and an .838 OPS in 19 games at Triple-A prior to the call-up, which is very nice production for a 22-year-old in a league where the average player in 26. Martinez’s lack of strike-zone control and plate discipline remain stumbling blocks for his development, but he’s shown 20-homer power while hitting .275 between Double-A and Triple-A despite being very young for each stop.
He won’t be able to replace Davis’ production, as the first baseman was hitting .302 with seven homers and a .925 OPS in 36 games, but Martinez may finally be ready to contribute positively this time around while Daniel Murphy likely sees most of the action at first base and Willie Harris and Justin Turner split time at second base.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 6
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 24
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)