May 12, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Ike Davis was hopeful that he could return to the lineup after missing just a few days with his calf injury, but the Mets have placed him on the disabled list … and are now calling it a left ankle sprain and bone bruise.
Calf, ankle. Same difference.
To replace Davis on the roster Fernando Martinez has been called up from Triple-A. Despite seemingly being around forever Martinez is still just 22 years old, but his prospect stock has gradually declined during the past couple seasons.
However, he was hitting .292 with three homers and an .838 OPS in 19 games at Triple-A prior to the call-up, which is very nice production for a 22-year-old in a league where the average player in 26. Martinez’s lack of strike-zone control and plate discipline remain stumbling blocks for his development, but he’s shown 20-homer power while hitting .275 between Double-A and Triple-A despite being very young for each stop.
He won’t be able to replace Davis’ production, as the first baseman was hitting .302 with seven homers and a .925 OPS in 36 games, but Martinez may finally be ready to contribute positively this time around while Daniel Murphy likely sees most of the action at first base and Willie Harris and Justin Turner split time at second base.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)