May 12, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Ike Davis was hopeful that he could return to the lineup after missing just a few days with his calf injury, but the Mets have placed him on the disabled list … and are now calling it a left ankle sprain and bone bruise.
Calf, ankle. Same difference.
To replace Davis on the roster Fernando Martinez has been called up from Triple-A. Despite seemingly being around forever Martinez is still just 22 years old, but his prospect stock has gradually declined during the past couple seasons.
However, he was hitting .292 with three homers and an .838 OPS in 19 games at Triple-A prior to the call-up, which is very nice production for a 22-year-old in a league where the average player in 26. Martinez’s lack of strike-zone control and plate discipline remain stumbling blocks for his development, but he’s shown 20-homer power while hitting .275 between Double-A and Triple-A despite being very young for each stop.
He won’t be able to replace Davis’ production, as the first baseman was hitting .302 with seven homers and a .925 OPS in 36 games, but Martinez may finally be ready to contribute positively this time around while Daniel Murphy likely sees most of the action at first base and Willie Harris and Justin Turner split time at second base.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)