May 12, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Young’s career has been filled with injuries, which is why he’s never thrown even 180 innings in a season and has logged a total of just 222 innings during the past four years.
He made just four starts with the Padres last season and was shut down by the Mets after the same number of starts this year, but did go 3-0 with a 1.43 ERA in those eight outings.
Because of his lengthy injury history Young could manage only an incentive-laden one-year contract as a free agent, so the Mets are on the hook for just $1.1 million, which actually isn’t such a bad price for four very good starts.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)