Nolan Ryan now controls the Rangers

May 12, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT

ryan-nolan-101030

Well, for all practical purposes he has controlled them for a long time, but as of today it became official, with the other owners approving his elevation at the Owners’ Meetings.  The official press release:

Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig announced today that the Major League owners have formally approved the designation of Nolan Ryan as the control person of the Texas Rangers.  The Major League Clubs voted during today’s quarterly owners meetings at Major League Baseball’s New York headquarters.  Each Major League Club has a designated control person who is accountable to Major League Baseball for the operation of the Club and for the Club’s compliance with the rules of Baseball.

[in Major League Baseball's offices, circa Nineteen dickety-two or whenever it was current ownership rules came into effect]

MLB Dude 1: Hey, with all of the multi-member ownership groups these days we probably need a way to make sure we know who speaks for the clubs.

MLB Dude 2: Yeah, you’re right. What if we have two 50% stakeholders in a team disagreeing about something and we don’t know whose vote to accept?

Dude 1: Exactly. Let’s let them sort it out amongst themselves. For our purposes, we should have one person who is, in effect, in control.

Dude 2: Good idea. We can call it “the Control Guy.”

Dude 1: Well — and I know this sounds insane — but now that the Nineteenth Amendment has passed, it’s possible that one day a woman may be in charge of a club.

Dude 2: You think? How could that happen? Do they have voting and property rights now?

Dude 1: They’ve always had property rights. We’ve just systematically kept them from exercising them fully via our white male hegemony.

Dude 2: Oh yeah. Reminds me: I didn’t get the minutes from last month’s hegemony meeting. Can you get me a copy?

Dude 1: Sure. In the meantime, let’s just call it “Control Person,” because the last thing we need is Alice Stone freakin’ Blackwell crawling up our backsides.

Dude 2: Great. “Control Person” sounds kind of corny, but it’s just a placeholder. We’ll come up with another, more appropriate and official sounding title later.

Dude 1: Agreed. Now, how do we keep the Irish from owning teams?  I just heard that one “Cornelius McCourt” is interested in purchasing the Brooklyn club …

1. halladaysbiceps - May 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Good news for baseball. Nolan Ryan is a class act and will continue to serve the Rangers well.

The first major league game I ever saw as a kid at Veterans stadium was a pitching matchup of Nolan Ryan vs. Steve Carlton. I still remember the game like it was yesterday,

What I like best about Nolan Ryan is his belief that pitch counts mean nothing and has instructed his minor leagues to disregard this when developing pitching prospects. I am eager to see the results in a few years.

• heyblueyoustink - May 12, 2011 at 2:39 PM

That was the first game you got to see? All of a sudden Emerson, Lake, and Palmer are singing in my head…….And I agree with you on the pitch count notion……..Wood and Prior might have been blatant examples of overuse…or they might have been injury prone to begin with…..

The Lee’s and Halladay’s, Sabathia’s of the world just go out till they van’t get the job done, and it seems to work just fine

• halladaysbiceps - May 12, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Yeah. Watching great pitching matchups is what baseball is all about. I’m so grateful to my late father for taking me to the game to see something that I will never forget.

Yesterday: Nolan Ryan vs. Steve Carlton.

Today: Josh Johnson vs. Roy Halladay.

My dream matchup today would be to see the Nationals to call up 18yr old Bryce Harper and have him face Roy Halladay.

• heyblueyoustink - May 12, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I’m hoping Hamilton’s back by the Ranger’s series

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 12, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Way to find the most fearsome picture of Nolan possible, Craig.

• BC - May 12, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Nah. This is the best one ever.

• BC - May 12, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Forgot the link:

• heyblueyoustink - May 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Did Saul from Ocean’s 11 take on a new role……Nolan Ryan stand in?

• BC - May 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM

My name… is Zerga. My name is Lyman Zerga.

3. Chris Fiorentino - May 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I’m not sure I follow the pro-women rant you have up there, Craig. Didn’t Marge Schott have control over the Reds? I believe one or two of the Phillies owners are women. I don’t know every owner in MLB. I could see if there was never a woman owner…that would be an appropriate rant. But I don’t feel that baseball purposely avoids having women owners, and never even considered it until what you wrote above…unless I am entirely missing your point…which is possible.

• Vincent - May 12, 2011 at 2:26 PM

My friend, you most certainly have missed his point. Try reading it again– from the beginning :)

4. BC - May 12, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Schott was the principal owner of the Reds. She called the shots (pun very much intended).
    In the NFL there was a woman who owned the Rams for like 35 years, name escapes me.
    And if I’m not mistaken, Bud Light turned over (sort of) Brewers ownership to his daughter.
    Those are the only three woman owners in the 4 major sports that I can think of.

• BC - May 12, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Hey, why the thumbs down?

• jwbiii - May 12, 2011 at 8:21 PM

It wasn’t me, but you got Georgia Frontiere (Rams, 1979-2008), Marge Schott (Reds, 1984-99), and Wendy Selig-Prieb (Brewers, 1996-2004).

But you’re missing a few: “Lady” Helene Britton (Cardinals, 1911-17, SABR biography below), Grace Comiskey (White Sox, 1939-1956), Violet Wolfner (NFL Cardinals, 1947-62), Marguerite Norris (Red Wings, 1952-55), Dorothy Rigney (White Sox, 1956-58), Jean Yawkey (Red Sox, 1976-92), Virginia McCaskey (Bears, 1983- ), Joan Kroc (Padres, 1984-90), Denise York (49ers, 2000- ), and Sue Burns (Giants, 2006-09). Denise York was also president of the Penguins without owning a controlling interest. It appears that Jamie McCourt owns 50% of the Dodgers.

• BC - May 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Yawkey and Kroc would be the only others I’d have gotten if I sat down and thought for a while, and didn’t google around for it.

• BC - May 13, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I also didn’t count Jamie McCourt because I have no idea what if any % she owns of the Dodgers, if any, 0% to 99%.

5. jwbiii - May 12, 2011 at 2:16 PM

That conversation would have to have taken place over one hundred years ago.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3893)