May 12, 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
No surprise here.
The news comes via our good friend Jim Salisbury over at CSN Philadelphia.
The Phillies will wait to fill their now-vacant 25-man roster spot until Friday morning, when starting catcher Carlos Ruiz is scheduled to be activated from a 15-day disabled list stint of his own.
Dane Sardinha will handle backup catching duties for the next few weeks. Schneider, batting .173/.218/.327 with two home runs and four RBI in 55 plate appearances, should be ready to return by the end of May.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 22
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 53
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 159
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (159)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)