May 12, 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
No surprise here.
The news comes via our good friend Jim Salisbury over at CSN Philadelphia.
The Phillies will wait to fill their now-vacant 25-man roster spot until Friday morning, when starting catcher Carlos Ruiz is scheduled to be activated from a 15-day disabled list stint of his own.
Dane Sardinha will handle backup catching duties for the next few weeks. Schneider, batting .173/.218/.327 with two home runs and four RBI in 55 plate appearances, should be ready to return by the end of May.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (214)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)