May 12, 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
No surprise here.
The news comes via our good friend Jim Salisbury over at CSN Philadelphia.
The Phillies will wait to fill their now-vacant 25-man roster spot until Friday morning, when starting catcher Carlos Ruiz is scheduled to be activated from a 15-day disabled list stint of his own.
Dane Sardinha will handle backup catching duties for the next few weeks. Schneider, batting .173/.218/.327 with two home runs and four RBI in 55 plate appearances, should be ready to return by the end of May.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 131
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (132)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)