May 12, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Clint Hurdle has benched Andrew McCutchen for tonight’s game after the Pirates center fielder failed to run to first base yesterday when the catcher dropped a third strike, according to Colin Dunlap of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.
Hurdle taking that stance isn’t surprising–Dunlap notes that he did the same thing to Ronny Cedeno last month–but it’s definitely coming at an interesting time given reports that the Pirates and McCutchen have been making progress on a long-term contract extension that would likely be worth more than $50 million.
As for the actual play in question, having watched the replay it definitely didn’t look like McCutchen would have been safe had he run it out, but that’s the type of situation where nothing is lost by displaying a little hustle and forcing the catcher to simply make a throw to first base can occasionally lead to an error.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)