May 12, 2011, 4:40 PM EST
Clint Hurdle has benched Andrew McCutchen for tonight’s game after the Pirates center fielder failed to run to first base yesterday when the catcher dropped a third strike, according to Colin Dunlap of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.
Hurdle taking that stance isn’t surprising–Dunlap notes that he did the same thing to Ronny Cedeno last month–but it’s definitely coming at an interesting time given reports that the Pirates and McCutchen have been making progress on a long-term contract extension that would likely be worth more than $50 million.
As for the actual play in question, having watched the replay it definitely didn’t look like McCutchen would have been safe had he run it out, but that’s the type of situation where nothing is lost by displaying a little hustle and forcing the catcher to simply make a throw to first base can occasionally lead to an error.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)