Rain washes away Gio Gonzalez’s awful start versus Rangers

May 12, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

Gonzalez_Gio

Gio Gonzalez got hit hard yesterday for the first time this season, as the Rangers knocked him out of the game with a seven-run third inning, but then it started raining in Texas and the game was called.

In addition to the Rangers having a nearly guaranteed win taken off the books, all individual stats are wiped away when that happens. Gonzalez keeps his shiny 2.68 ERA instead of seeing it balloon up to 3.86 and Mitch Moreland‘s first career grand slam technically never happened.

“One apology I want to make is to Mitch,” Gonzalez jokingly told Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News. “Sorry buddy, I’ll definitely send you over a check.”

Assuming he actually did get out the checkbook, what’s the going rate for a grand slam vanishing, anyway?

1. clydeserra - May 12, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Good series for quotes

2. spudchukar - May 12, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Can someone explain the rationale for the rainout rule? I see no reason for it. Why doesn’t MLB, alter the rule, and pick up games at the time of the delay, rather than washing out what has already occurred. The five inning rule could be kept for complete games, but rainouts would pick up where they left off. Why not?

• bleedgreen - May 12, 2011 at 1:30 PM

My guess would be because if you pick it up at the time of the delay, it throws off the entire mechanics of the game. Should a guy that pitches 4 innings one day and then “starts” in inning 5 during the pick up and throws 5 innings be credited with a complete game? What if a particular team has 3 guys come back off the DL and demotes 2 guys that started the first half of the game in the time between the makeup? The flow of the game is COMPLETELY changed, etc.

• clydeserra - May 12, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I am guessing, but maybe having to do with what players would be available. If the game can’t be resumed the next day, the rosters are going to change by the time they can pick up again. (IIRC, the Royals were trying to get MLB to disqualify Rich Gossage for the resumed pine tar game because he would not have pitched in the pine tar game because he had gone the previous day or something like that).

In this case the Rangers will have Josh Hamilton and Nelson Cruz back, and the A’s will likely have Richa Harden back. Hahahahahahahhahahahahaha. No seriously they may have somebody up from AAA.

I am not sure I agree with it, but I can see that being a concern.

• Max Power - May 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM

What Spud suggests is what they do in the minor leagues now for games that are rained out before they become “official”. Seems to workout okay there.

I thought MLB had adopted the same rule, but apparently not.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 12, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I think that is what they do for playoff games, but not regular season. It does make for complicated logistics, but it sure seems to screw a team in the Ranger’s position.

• dwishinsky - May 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM

As an A’s fan I am more than happy to see this game erased from history. But, I agree it is unfair. I don’t get why the concern of rosters changing is an issue. Joel Youngblood played for two teams in one day, its not like MLB said, hey you can’t play because you didn’t start the day on this team. Now while it would be weird (not sure how you’d handle things like hitting streaks for example) it doesn’t seem like it’d be that complicated.

4. APBA Guy - May 12, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Gio might want to get a two-way wrist radio with Braden. Both of Gio’s starts without Braden in the dugout have been problematic. He was fortunate this time. The A’s are a .500 team with Gio pitching well. With him pitching like the 2008 Gio .500 will be just a dream.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3370)