May 12, 2011, 2:25 PM EDT
That was Bud Selig’s response to questions about MLB’s look into the Dodgers’ finances after the Owners’ Meetings adjourned today. The message: while Frank McCourt says we’re simply trying to run out the clock as he gets closer and closer to failing to make payroll at the end of the month, that’s simply not true. “Everybody has moved in as expeditious a manner as possible, ” Bud said, claiming that there is no timeline.
Which has to absolutely grind Frank McCourt’s gears. Because, for as much as everyone wants to see this guy smashed, he probably is right that Major League Baseball knows exactly what it’s doing here and has every intent on bumping him off, so to speak. But hey: it’s not like he couldn’t have avoided all of this. And after several years of financial irresponsibility, he doesn’t have much room to complain when someone takes a few weeks in the name of financial prudence.
You can read the entire transcript of Selig’s comments regarding the McCourt/Dodgers situation at the L.A. Times. Where, by the way, Bill Shaikin should get some freakin’ awards for the way he’s been all over this mess from the beginning.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 42
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 29
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)