May 12, 2011, 2:25 PM EDT
That was Bud Selig’s response to questions about MLB’s look into the Dodgers’ finances after the Owners’ Meetings adjourned today. The message: while Frank McCourt says we’re simply trying to run out the clock as he gets closer and closer to failing to make payroll at the end of the month, that’s simply not true. “Everybody has moved in as expeditious a manner as possible, ” Bud said, claiming that there is no timeline.
Which has to absolutely grind Frank McCourt’s gears. Because, for as much as everyone wants to see this guy smashed, he probably is right that Major League Baseball knows exactly what it’s doing here and has every intent on bumping him off, so to speak. But hey: it’s not like he couldn’t have avoided all of this. And after several years of financial irresponsibility, he doesn’t have much room to complain when someone takes a few weeks in the name of financial prudence.
You can read the entire transcript of Selig’s comments regarding the McCourt/Dodgers situation at the L.A. Times. Where, by the way, Bill Shaikin should get some freakin’ awards for the way he’s been all over this mess from the beginning.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 0
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 37
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)