May 12, 2011, 2:25 PM EDT
That was Bud Selig’s response to questions about MLB’s look into the Dodgers’ finances after the Owners’ Meetings adjourned today. The message: while Frank McCourt says we’re simply trying to run out the clock as he gets closer and closer to failing to make payroll at the end of the month, that’s simply not true. “Everybody has moved in as expeditious a manner as possible, ” Bud said, claiming that there is no timeline.
Which has to absolutely grind Frank McCourt’s gears. Because, for as much as everyone wants to see this guy smashed, he probably is right that Major League Baseball knows exactly what it’s doing here and has every intent on bumping him off, so to speak. But hey: it’s not like he couldn’t have avoided all of this. And after several years of financial irresponsibility, he doesn’t have much room to complain when someone takes a few weeks in the name of financial prudence.
You can read the entire transcript of Selig’s comments regarding the McCourt/Dodgers situation at the L.A. Times. Where, by the way, Bill Shaikin should get some freakin’ awards for the way he’s been all over this mess from the beginning.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 32
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 40
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)