May 12, 2011, 2:25 PM EST
That was Bud Selig’s response to questions about MLB’s look into the Dodgers’ finances after the Owners’ Meetings adjourned today. The message: while Frank McCourt says we’re simply trying to run out the clock as he gets closer and closer to failing to make payroll at the end of the month, that’s simply not true. “Everybody has moved in as expeditious a manner as possible, ” Bud said, claiming that there is no timeline.
Which has to absolutely grind Frank McCourt’s gears. Because, for as much as everyone wants to see this guy smashed, he probably is right that Major League Baseball knows exactly what it’s doing here and has every intent on bumping him off, so to speak. But hey: it’s not like he couldn’t have avoided all of this. And after several years of financial irresponsibility, he doesn’t have much room to complain when someone takes a few weeks in the name of financial prudence.
You can read the entire transcript of Selig’s comments regarding the McCourt/Dodgers situation at the L.A. Times. Where, by the way, Bill Shaikin should get some freakin’ awards for the way he’s been all over this mess from the beginning.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 0
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 9
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)