May 12, 2011, 2:25 PM EDT
That was Bud Selig’s response to questions about MLB’s look into the Dodgers’ finances after the Owners’ Meetings adjourned today. The message: while Frank McCourt says we’re simply trying to run out the clock as he gets closer and closer to failing to make payroll at the end of the month, that’s simply not true. “Everybody has moved in as expeditious a manner as possible, ” Bud said, claiming that there is no timeline.
Which has to absolutely grind Frank McCourt’s gears. Because, for as much as everyone wants to see this guy smashed, he probably is right that Major League Baseball knows exactly what it’s doing here and has every intent on bumping him off, so to speak. But hey: it’s not like he couldn’t have avoided all of this. And after several years of financial irresponsibility, he doesn’t have much room to complain when someone takes a few weeks in the name of financial prudence.
You can read the entire transcript of Selig’s comments regarding the McCourt/Dodgers situation at the L.A. Times. Where, by the way, Bill Shaikin should get some freakin’ awards for the way he’s been all over this mess from the beginning.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)