May 12, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Rays shortstop Reid Brignac is on the board. In the team’s 37th game of the season, he hit a two-run double off the Indians’ Justin Masterson on Thursday, giving him his first extra-base hit in 83 at-bats this season.
The 25-year-old Brignac entered the game hitting — and slugging — .183.
Brignac’s first extra-base hit came after his teammate and occasional double-play partner Ben Zobrist already had 22 (12 doubles, two triples, eight homers).
Brignac actually outslugged Zobrist last year, .385 to .353. He entered the season with a career .254/.300/.389 line, 21 doubles, three triples and nine homers in 401 at-bats.
Because of his prolonged slump, Brignac has played less of late. Today’s start was his sixth in 10 games this month. The Rays do have the option of sending him back to the minors, though they declined to go that route last week when Evan Longoria came off the DL. They’ll be hoping that this is the start of a turnaround for him.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)