May 12, 2011, 4:10 PM EDT
Tampa Bay beat the Indians 7-4 today behind James Shields‘ two run, seven strikeout performance. He’s now 4-1 on the season and allowed a total of five runs in his last four starts. On the offensive side, every Rays’ starter got a hit except for Kelly Shoppach. Evan Longoria‘s two-run double in the ninth put any hopes of an Indians’ comeback on ice.
While the talk coming into this series was about how hot the Indians have been at home, the Rays have been baseball’s road team. They have now won 10 of 11 on the road, and are 13-5 overall.
That disastrous start of theirs is way back in the rear view mirror now. The Rays are in first place, a half-game up on the Yankees.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 0
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)