May 12, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
As has been suggested ever since it became clear that, yes, Jake Peavy was actually coming back, starting tomorrow, the White Sox are going to go with a six-man rotation. Today Brett Ballantini of CSN Chicago has the complete breakdown of the schedule and the White Sox’ starters’ splits on four, five and six days’ rest. The upshot: everyone except Edwin Jackson does better on extra rest, and Jackson does about the same. Brett also proposes some schedule tweaks that would optimize the number of starts each guy gets on his best rest period (some do better with five days off; others six).
We hear about teams messing with — or at least flirting with — the idea of six-man rotations from time to time, but the White Sox’ experiment is supposed to last a while. Scanning around the web for a few minutes I couldn’t find any comprehensive studies of the beast, so I’m not sure (a) if anyone has used a six-man rotation for a sustained period of time; or (b) if it was useful. It strikes me that the biggest risk to it all is not what it means for the starters themselves but for roster construction. Are there enough position players on the bench? Will the manager, knowing that his starters are better rested, better-optimize his bullpen use?
It’ll be interesting to watch. And, if the White Sox go on a tear over the next month, will be something we’ll probably see more of.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)