May 12, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
As has been suggested ever since it became clear that, yes, Jake Peavy was actually coming back, starting tomorrow, the White Sox are going to go with a six-man rotation. Today Brett Ballantini of CSN Chicago has the complete breakdown of the schedule and the White Sox’ starters’ splits on four, five and six days’ rest. The upshot: everyone except Edwin Jackson does better on extra rest, and Jackson does about the same. Brett also proposes some schedule tweaks that would optimize the number of starts each guy gets on his best rest period (some do better with five days off; others six).
We hear about teams messing with — or at least flirting with — the idea of six-man rotations from time to time, but the White Sox’ experiment is supposed to last a while. Scanning around the web for a few minutes I couldn’t find any comprehensive studies of the beast, so I’m not sure (a) if anyone has used a six-man rotation for a sustained period of time; or (b) if it was useful. It strikes me that the biggest risk to it all is not what it means for the starters themselves but for roster construction. Are there enough position players on the bench? Will the manager, knowing that his starters are better rested, better-optimize his bullpen use?
It’ll be interesting to watch. And, if the White Sox go on a tear over the next month, will be something we’ll probably see more of.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)