May 13, 2011, 1:28 PM EDT
ESPN’s Amy K. Nelson has a profile of Russell Martin. The stuff about him regaining his health and confidence and baseball prowess in New York is the point of the story, but you’ll be forgiven if your attention is drawn to some stuff in the middle portion:
“It’s not a good feeling when you’re putting down a sign, and you’re not really sure if they’re going to throw that pitch,” he says as a woman cuts his cuticles in the salon before putting on a fresh coat of neon green on his right hand. He settled on manicures because he didn’t like the feel of tape on his fingers and whiteout was too messy … He also says he prefers pedicures because everyone should take care of their feet.
Nelson last profiled Luke Scott. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that Scott wouldn’t agree to be interviewed while getting a mani/pedi in a nail salon. And that’s not a swipe at Martin.
Neat article. Especially the stuff about the relationship between Martin and A.J. Burnett, who appears to have benefited from Martin’s presence more than anyone.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 13
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 50
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)