May 13, 2011, 1:28 PM EDT
ESPN’s Amy K. Nelson has a profile of Russell Martin. The stuff about him regaining his health and confidence and baseball prowess in New York is the point of the story, but you’ll be forgiven if your attention is drawn to some stuff in the middle portion:
“It’s not a good feeling when you’re putting down a sign, and you’re not really sure if they’re going to throw that pitch,” he says as a woman cuts his cuticles in the salon before putting on a fresh coat of neon green on his right hand. He settled on manicures because he didn’t like the feel of tape on his fingers and whiteout was too messy … He also says he prefers pedicures because everyone should take care of their feet.
Nelson last profiled Luke Scott. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that Scott wouldn’t agree to be interviewed while getting a mani/pedi in a nail salon. And that’s not a swipe at Martin.
Neat article. Especially the stuff about the relationship between Martin and A.J. Burnett, who appears to have benefited from Martin’s presence more than anyone.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32