May 13, 2011, 1:28 PM EDT
ESPN’s Amy K. Nelson has a profile of Russell Martin. The stuff about him regaining his health and confidence and baseball prowess in New York is the point of the story, but you’ll be forgiven if your attention is drawn to some stuff in the middle portion:
“It’s not a good feeling when you’re putting down a sign, and you’re not really sure if they’re going to throw that pitch,” he says as a woman cuts his cuticles in the salon before putting on a fresh coat of neon green on his right hand. He settled on manicures because he didn’t like the feel of tape on his fingers and whiteout was too messy … He also says he prefers pedicures because everyone should take care of their feet.
Nelson last profiled Luke Scott. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that Scott wouldn’t agree to be interviewed while getting a mani/pedi in a nail salon. And that’s not a swipe at Martin.
Neat article. Especially the stuff about the relationship between Martin and A.J. Burnett, who appears to have benefited from Martin’s presence more than anyone.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 46
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 49
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)