May 13, 2011, 1:28 PM EST
ESPN’s Amy K. Nelson has a profile of Russell Martin. The stuff about him regaining his health and confidence and baseball prowess in New York is the point of the story, but you’ll be forgiven if your attention is drawn to some stuff in the middle portion:
“It’s not a good feeling when you’re putting down a sign, and you’re not really sure if they’re going to throw that pitch,” he says as a woman cuts his cuticles in the salon before putting on a fresh coat of neon green on his right hand. He settled on manicures because he didn’t like the feel of tape on his fingers and whiteout was too messy … He also says he prefers pedicures because everyone should take care of their feet.
Nelson last profiled Luke Scott. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that Scott wouldn’t agree to be interviewed while getting a mani/pedi in a nail salon. And that’s not a swipe at Martin.
Neat article. Especially the stuff about the relationship between Martin and A.J. Burnett, who appears to have benefited from Martin’s presence more than anyone.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 11
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 115
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)