And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

May 13, 2011, 5:30 AM EDT

Len Barker

Indians 3, Blue Jays 0: Amazing! A perfect game for Len Barker! It was cold and damp at Municipal Stadium last night, so it must have been hard to hit anyway, but regardless, Barker’s stuff was incredible.  He never even reached ball three against any Blue Jay hitter.  This Barker looks so fantastic that I’d be fine with my Braves trading away, oh,  Brett Butler, Brook Jacoby, Rick Behenna and $150,000 cash for him two years from now.

At least I assume this game happened last night, as it was on the channel that normally broadcasts Indians games around here. I watched it and, because it is my job, I dutifully report it to you. Gotta admit, though: it’s strange that the Blue Jays would sign Danny Ainge at this point. He’s 52-years-old for cryin’ out loud.

Mets 9, Rockies 5: Carlos Beltran. Carlos Beltran. Carlos Beltran. 3 for 5, 3 HR, 6 RBI.  And I assume that there are still Mets fans who think he’s one of the team’s big problems. For Colorado: Ubaldo Jimenez walked six in three and two-thirds.

Orioles 2, Mariners 1: Wow! Both starters — Jason Vargas and Zach Britton — shut out the opposition for nine innings and neither got a decision. Then, after Seattle finally broke through for a run in the top of the 12th, Baltimore strikes back with a single, two straight hit batsmen (really, Brandon League?) and a walkoff RBI single by J.J. Hardy.  Thirty-year-old perfect games are great and all, but I’m kind of pissed I didn’t watch this one.  I don’t know what it was like live, but I’ve got a pretty good sense of box scores, and this one reads like a ton of fun for pitching and randomness junkies like me.

Braves 6, Nationals 5: There were times in both of the first two games of this series when I said to myself “man, the Braves had a chance to win this, and blew it.”  In this one all I could say is “the Braves had no business winning this one but did.”  Or maybe they did in some ass backwards way inasmuch as Martin Prado and Brian McCann and a host of other talented Braves hitters could not be expected to continue to not come through as often as they have not come through in key spots so far this year (believe me; as I write that sentence on Thursday evening, it makes sense to me).  Anyway, a Prado grand slam tied things up in the seventh and a Brian McCann RBI single in the 10th won it, averting the sweep at the hands of the pesky Nats.

Royals 11, Yankees 5: A good old fashioned woodshedding. This series win for Kansas City has to make some of us who have been assuming the Royals will simply wither and die take heed.  They beat the crap out of the ball, and holding the Yankees to 11 runs in three games in their home park is pretty impressive in its own right. Oh, and Eric Hosmer: 3 for 5, 2B, HR and 3 RBI.

Giants 3, Diamondbacks 2: Matt Cain allowed two runs on seven hits in seven and two-thirds. And check out this throw by Nate Schierholtz to nail Gerardo Parra trying to stretch a single into a double. Mercy.  That’s six straight wins for San Francisco.

Rays 7, Indians 4: I hit this one up yesterday.  Rather strange to have a day-night double header with two different teams, but whatever. Kind of shocked not see Joe Charboneau play both ends of this one.

Cardinals 9, Cubs 1: Another great start for Jaime Garcia, who ups his record to 5-0 with a 1.89 ERA. Not too strong for Casey Coleman, who continues to be a disaster. Jon Jay fills in for Lance Berkman in right and goes 3 for 6 with a double and 3 RBI. Maybe it’s just something about right field on the Cardinals this year.  Either way, doppelganger Tony La Russa approves.

Dodgers vs. Pirates: POSTPONED: I try to tie all of these into a rain theme of some sort, and the first thing that popped into my head here was “I bless the rains down in Africa” from the Toto song “Africa.”  Which then led me to find this wonderful, irony-drenched cover of “Africa” by Low. And no, no amount of irony can atone for lyrics like “sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.”  Note to simile writers: when the thing you’re comparing something to (Olympus) is less impressive than the thing you’re comparing (Kilimanjaro), your simile has failed.

1. Jonny 5 - May 13, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Threshers 7, Cardinals 5 : In a game where Roy Oswalt gets somewhat picked apart by minor league guys, giving up 7 hits, I was thinking this minor league team is full of a bunch of sluggers as they got hit after hit off the red birds. Chooch was moving well, as was Utley. They didn’t do much, Utley had an error, but I think I had a tear in my eye seeing Utley rip one over the RF fence with that perfect compact swing he owns. It was a sight to behold for Phills fans to see him finally play, and who also happen to think Utley can more than likely walk on water, but chooses not to show off.

• Utley's Hair - May 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Quite the humble one that Chase, isn’t he?

• Jonny 5 - May 13, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Yes, and apparently he’s on my side. Quoted from “diamond dishes: from the kitchens of baseball’s biggest stars” (why are titles so long today again?)

“Chase Utley is not a dessert guy, unless it is mud pie. Once you try this incredible dessert recipe, you, too, will find your dinner guests unable to turn away a serving of bliss.”

Yes, blissful pie. Utley seems to think that even mud pie beats cake. So there’s that to sulk over PIE EATERS , in your face! And before you look it up Big Roy is an ice cream man.

• Alex K - May 13, 2011 at 2:57 PM

It’s beacuse Big Roy knows what a good dessert is. I bet he dislikes pie like any person with good sense.

2. jwbiii - May 13, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Note to Frank Wren and all future Atlanta GMs: Never, ever trade a player with a name that sounds anything like Rhett Butler.

3. yankeesfanlen - May 13, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Yesterday I asked for two home runs, and it was granted. Guess I forgot to include some pitching and fielding and doing something with men on base. Do I HAVE to tell you guys EVERYTHING?
    Sanit is a good name for a long relief guy. Should add “ation” to show what he had to clean up after.
    Has Hosmer’s plane left yet?

• sdelmonte - May 13, 2011 at 9:29 AM

So which Yankees team is the real one? The guys who can outhit anyone and have solid pitching from CC to Mo? Or the guys who seem to be sleepwalking through the season?

• yankeesfanlen - May 13, 2011 at 9:37 AM

For the last 17 games (8-9), damned if I know. Seems to have more parts that don’t work properly together than a ’76 MG-B

• proudlycanadian - May 13, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Since the Jays were not playing, I had to watch the Yankees instead. It was nice to see a Yankee farm team beat their big league brethren.

• phukyouk - May 13, 2011 at 10:41 AM

please see my comment from yesterdays ATH.. I hate it when im right

4. randomdigits - May 13, 2011 at 9:42 AM

You missed a good one, 12 innings and the game was still over in about three hours. Btw Wieters threw out another base runner last night, he is over 50% for the season and most of the time the plays are not even close. Watching him behind the plate is reason enough to tune into O’s games this season.

5. IdahoMariner - May 13, 2011 at 1:25 PM

you not only missed a great game, Craig, you missed a cool story about Smoak and Wieters:

6. natstowngreg - May 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM

“pesky Nats.” Love it! Better than not being mentioned at all. “Pesky” is a step up from “awful,” on the way to “decent.”

That said, Jordan Zimmermann deserved better.

Ace-killer Giants do it again