Bondy: The New Era ads are “far too provocative”

May 13, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Alec Baldwin

I liked that new New Era cap ad featuring Alec Baldwin and John Krasinski yesterday. I think the ads in that series are pretty funny.  Filip Bondy of the New York Daily News disagrees:

The real heat between the Yanks and Red Sox burns off the field, in television commercials. Some of the spots are funny and nuanced, like the Avis ad about the Yankee fans snubbing a Red Sox fan in the office. Unfortunately, the New Era commercials featuring Alec Baldwin and John Krasinski are way over the top.

Baldwin plays a Yankee fan. In one spot, he vaguely threatens to kill Krasinski, a Red Sox rooter. In another, Baldwin travels to Boston to punch Krasinski unapologetically in the face. Given the recent fan violence in Los Angeles, this stuff is far too provocative.

Call me crazy, but I bet that when they catch and interrogate the guys who attacked Bryan Stow, they’ll find that there are a lot more things wrong with them than exposure to some funny TV violence.

1. bigmikemdz - May 13, 2011 at 10:20 AM

actually, I think Krasinski threatened to kill Baldwin in the first ad, but either way, the commercials are fun.

• yankeesfanlen - May 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

You’re right, guess poor old Bondy can’t even watch commercials correctly.

2. deathmonkey41 - May 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Maybe one day Filip Bondy’s testicles will drop and that will bring a sense of humor.

3. The Dangerous Mabry - May 13, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Also, I’m pretty sure he didn’t travel to Boston, but rather that Krasinski lives in NYC. He mentions that he ran, and that there was traffic on the LIE. I know Alec Baldwin’s a pretty impressive man, but running from NYC to Boston is going to take a while.

4. heyblueyoustink - May 13, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Maybe Bondy should lay off the Nickelodeon for a bit

5. aceshigh11 - May 13, 2011 at 10:40 AM

There are only two ads so far, right?

It was Krasinski who alluded to the Yankees being “dead in October”…Baldwin made no such threats.

When writing an article, it helps to have the basic facts correct. I know, I know…crazy concept for the Daily News, but still…

6. bigharold - May 13, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I’m pretty sure the incident in LA predates these commercials so I don’t think that his point holds water. Anybody vicious enough or stupid enough to commit a crime like the one in LA doesn’t need a commercial to set them off.

• rebarratige - May 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Not to defend Bondy or anything, but he wasn’t trying to pin the blame for the Stow incident on the New Era commercials. He was making a somewhat different but equally stupid point.

7. Charles Gates - May 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM

The last sentence of the quote would be better if it was:
    Given the recent fan violence in Los Angeles, this is an issue that is should be taken seriously. I wish I had a better example of how these things are instigated than the Baldwin/Krasinski commercials.

8. Brian Murphy - May 13, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I guess we should stop airing network primetime shows such as Criminal Minds, NCIS, the CSIs, the Law and Orders, Bones, etc.
    Given the recent violence everywhere in America, this stuff is far too provocative.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2675)