May 13, 2011, 11:58 PM EST
Cameron Maybin isn’t exactly taking to San Diego just yet, but he does appear to be fulfilling his potential with the Padres after coming from the Marlins for a pair of relievers over the winter.
Maybin went 4-for-4 with two homers Friday against the Rockies at Coors Field, giving him five homers and a .273/.348/.453 line this season. His OPS is 40 points higher than that of the Padres’ second-best regular (the currently DL’d Nick Hundley).
Maybin has been a typical Padre at Petco Park this year, hitting .213/.298/.320 compared to the team’s overall line of .206/.288/.317. On the road, though, it’s been a different story. After Friday’s game, he’s batting .344/.408/.609 in 64 at-bats in away games. He’s driven in 10 runs and scored 16 in 17 games.
Perhaps Maybin won’t maintain his current pace, but it looks like the Padres made a great trade to bring him to town. Losing Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica in the deal with the Marlins hasn’t hurt the bullpen at all, and Maybin has far more offensive upside than last year’s center fielder, Tony Gwynn Jr. Maybin is just 24, and while he’s always struck out a ton, he has plenty of power, he’ll take a walk and he’s an asset on the basepaths. Defensively, he’s a notch below the elite, but he’s above average in center field. The talent is there for him to go to All-Star Games in his prime.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)