May 13, 2011, 11:58 PM EST
Cameron Maybin isn’t exactly taking to San Diego just yet, but he does appear to be fulfilling his potential with the Padres after coming from the Marlins for a pair of relievers over the winter.
Maybin went 4-for-4 with two homers Friday against the Rockies at Coors Field, giving him five homers and a .273/.348/.453 line this season. His OPS is 40 points higher than that of the Padres’ second-best regular (the currently DL’d Nick Hundley).
Maybin has been a typical Padre at Petco Park this year, hitting .213/.298/.320 compared to the team’s overall line of .206/.288/.317. On the road, though, it’s been a different story. After Friday’s game, he’s batting .344/.408/.609 in 64 at-bats in away games. He’s driven in 10 runs and scored 16 in 17 games.
Perhaps Maybin won’t maintain his current pace, but it looks like the Padres made a great trade to bring him to town. Losing Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica in the deal with the Marlins hasn’t hurt the bullpen at all, and Maybin has far more offensive upside than last year’s center fielder, Tony Gwynn Jr. Maybin is just 24, and while he’s always struck out a ton, he has plenty of power, he’ll take a walk and he’s an asset on the basepaths. Defensively, he’s a notch below the elite, but he’s above average in center field. The talent is there for him to go to All-Star Games in his prime.
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 8
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 15
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)