May 13, 2011, 11:58 PM EDT
Cameron Maybin isn’t exactly taking to San Diego just yet, but he does appear to be fulfilling his potential with the Padres after coming from the Marlins for a pair of relievers over the winter.
Maybin went 4-for-4 with two homers Friday against the Rockies at Coors Field, giving him five homers and a .273/.348/.453 line this season. His OPS is 40 points higher than that of the Padres’ second-best regular (the currently DL’d Nick Hundley).
Maybin has been a typical Padre at Petco Park this year, hitting .213/.298/.320 compared to the team’s overall line of .206/.288/.317. On the road, though, it’s been a different story. After Friday’s game, he’s batting .344/.408/.609 in 64 at-bats in away games. He’s driven in 10 runs and scored 16 in 17 games.
Perhaps Maybin won’t maintain his current pace, but it looks like the Padres made a great trade to bring him to town. Losing Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica in the deal with the Marlins hasn’t hurt the bullpen at all, and Maybin has far more offensive upside than last year’s center fielder, Tony Gwynn Jr. Maybin is just 24, and while he’s always struck out a ton, he has plenty of power, he’ll take a walk and he’s an asset on the basepaths. Defensively, he’s a notch below the elite, but he’s above average in center field. The talent is there for him to go to All-Star Games in his prime.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)