May 13, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
The NHL — and, to be honest, my employer — seem to have struck gold by playing hockey games outdoors on New Year’s Day, so they shall continue the tradition on 2012. Well, except in 2012 it won’t be on New Year’s Day, it will be on January 2nd because the NFL likes to ruin everything by scheduling games opposite cool things like outdoor hockey on New Year’s Day. Whatever.
Next year: Citizens Bank Park. Sounds like a cool choice. Although really, the NHL has to do something about this northern bias they’ve been showing in their Winter Classic site selections. Why not play outdoor hockey in Atlanta? Nashville? Dallas? Sunrise, Florida? There are both hockey teams and perfectly good ballparks in those places that are sitting empty in January!
In other news, I’m not a very knowledgeable person when it comes to hockey.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 48
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)