May 13, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
The NHL — and, to be honest, my employer — seem to have struck gold by playing hockey games outdoors on New Year’s Day, so they shall continue the tradition on 2012. Well, except in 2012 it won’t be on New Year’s Day, it will be on January 2nd because the NFL likes to ruin everything by scheduling games opposite cool things like outdoor hockey on New Year’s Day. Whatever.
Next year: Citizens Bank Park. Sounds like a cool choice. Although really, the NHL has to do something about this northern bias they’ve been showing in their Winter Classic site selections. Why not play outdoor hockey in Atlanta? Nashville? Dallas? Sunrise, Florida? There are both hockey teams and perfectly good ballparks in those places that are sitting empty in January!
In other news, I’m not a very knowledgeable person when it comes to hockey.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 0
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 20
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 43
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)