Citizens Bank Park to host the 2012 Winter Classic

May 13, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT

CBP

The NHL — and, to be honest, my employer — seem to have struck gold by playing hockey games outdoors on New Year’s Day, so they shall continue the tradition on 2012.  Well, except in 2012 it won’t be on New Year’s Day, it will be on January 2nd because the NFL likes to ruin everything by scheduling games opposite cool things like outdoor hockey on New Year’s Day. Whatever.

Next year: Citizens Bank Park. Sounds like a cool choice.  Although really, the NHL has to do something about this northern bias they’ve been showing in their Winter Classic site selections.  Why not play outdoor hockey in Atlanta? Nashville? Dallas? Sunrise, Florida? There are both hockey teams and perfectly good ballparks in those places that are sitting empty in January!

In other news, I’m not a very knowledgeable person when it comes to hockey.

1. yankeesfanlen - May 13, 2011 at 8:58 AM

The snowbirds in Sunrise would think they were watching a bunch of punk kids desecrating the rink at Rockefeller Center.

2. heyblueyoustink - May 13, 2011 at 9:03 AM

I wonder if by that point the Flyers will have figured out a trash can in net, like the kiddos do, would at least be a consistent option then what they’ve been putting out there…….

It IS a reason to go to the ballpark in January on the flip side

• Jonny 5 - May 13, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Lavs really caused a cluster f___ of the goal tending situation this season didn’t he? I mean, even though none of the goalies were top notch, he managed to make them all worse in the playoffs. The Flyers offensively had the edge over everyone if you don’t factor in being scored on!! Bleh!

• Utley's Hair - May 13, 2011 at 9:56 AM

@#$%ing Flyboys. The season started off with such promise. And then they pulled a Villanova-type late season-to-playoff swoon.

• kellyb9 - May 13, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Let me be the first to propose chooch for goalie.

• heyblueyoustink - May 13, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Hmmmm…..I don’t want chooch getting dinged up in the off season…….I wonder what Oliver Miller is up to these days

• Utley's Hair - May 13, 2011 at 11:18 AM

No Chooch. Jeremiah Trotter or Hugh Douglas, maybe—even if they were still playing, they’d be locked out anyway. Besides, they wouldn’t have to move…at all…just sit there.

• heyblueyoustink - May 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM

It’s the same problem they’ve had since Pelle Lindburgh……they’ve had over 30 starting goalies since Broduer has been in Jersey……….Personally, I think it’s time for Ed Snider to hang up his spurs

• ahealthyscratch - May 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM

You forget about the great Ron Hextall

• heyblueyoustink - May 13, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I love me some Ron Hextall, don’t get me wrong, but his resume is missing something, know what I mean?

Not that i’m interested in starting a puck head debate on a baseball forum

• purdueman - May 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM

No offense, but this is a baseball forum; if you want to talk National Goon Fighting League hockey, please take it over to that forum. Thanks.

• heyblueyoustink - May 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM

You got it Seargeant Proctor

3. flyerscup2010 - May 13, 2011 at 9:15 AM

maybe if they cant keep ice frozen in the south, they can do a san jose-phoenix roller hockey classic. i’m down

4. sdelmonte - May 13, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Wondering when NYC – either ballpark, though I prefer the one 2 miles from me in Flushing – will get its turn.

• kellyb9 - May 13, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I was under the impression that the world did, in fact, revolve around Philadelphia. Could be wrong.

• purdueman - May 13, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I myself got up this morning, had a nice cold glass of prune juice, and then went to flushing!!!

5. sknut - May 13, 2011 at 9:37 AM

At this point it looks like the NFL won’t be playing any games on Jan 1 or any date for that matter.

Wonder who the Flyers will be playing, maybe Tampa or Boston or San Jose?

• Utley's Hair - May 13, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Rangers.

• Utley's Hair - May 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Now, is that single, solitary thumbs down (in contrast to nary a thumbs up :( ) for me knowing that it’s the Rangers? ‘Cause that was in the original report. Or was it for the fact that it is, in fact, the Rangers, and not some other team?

6. purdueman - May 13, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Notice how the author failed to mention the city that the games going to be played in? Where the ‘eff is Citizens Bank Park located? Now if it was called something like Connie Mack Stadium I’d know the answer, but with the dizzying array of stadium name changes these days, I simply can’t keep up anymore.

• ahealthyscratch - May 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I can’t tell if this is serious or not. Also, what letter are you leaving off of “eff” that requires the apostrophe?

• purdueman - May 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM

No; I was serious; I honestly didn’t know what city the blog was talking about. You see, I’m mostly an American League fan, so not ever having been there, I didn’t recognize the park.

I am also serious about what a pain it is to try and keep the latest sanitized corporate names now given to most ballparks and stadiums straight too.

Even when the Bears rebuilt Soldier Field from the ground up and there was a huge public outcry to respect and keep the original name of the stadium and not sell the naming rights, the Bears found a way to get around it.

Yup, just like Angels owner Arte Moreno found a loophole that allowed him to somewhat ditch the city name of Anaheim with respect to the Angels, the Bears cut a deal to become known as the Bears who play at Soldier Field, brought to you by Bank One. Ugh!

• Jonny 5 - May 13, 2011 at 12:50 PM

There is a link provided in the post which links to the Philadelphia article about the winter classic, including the FLYERS. Click the link before gracing everyone with your blogger “review” next time.

• purdueman - May 13, 2011 at 12:58 PM

jonny… thanks, but it’s really not that important to me or I would have google’d it.

Until such time as the National Hooligan League gets rid of the cheap shot artists and designated goons, I won’t bother with it. The winter classic however was a brilliant marketing move on the part of the NHL and has spawned a great new sports tradition.

• ahealthyscratch - May 13, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Let’s not forget that you can clearly see the name “Phillies” in the picture.

• mercyflush - May 13, 2011 at 3:19 PM

just look at the picture of the stadium, numnuts. there’s a huge “Phillies” sign over the scoreboard.

that narrows it down to a specific city, no?

• purdueman - May 13, 2011 at 3:34 PM

mercy… you’ve got WAY too much time on your hands, pal. Get a job!

Like I posted earlier, I don’t give one happy damn about the NHL, so my only point was that it’s a case of sloppy reporting to not include the location/city the stadium is in when making such a report.

The reporter is the numnuts, not me. The other numnuts are anyone who bothers to waste their time and lives following hockey.

• ahealthyscratch - May 14, 2011 at 12:17 AM

So…purdueman claims to not care about hockey, then inquire about the stadium. At which point he complains about the lack of location. THEN he says he does not care about the location. At which point he says anyone who actually looks at the post needs a life.

Without actually realizing the “reporter” is from philly. Ya know, the link the “blogger” linked too.

It strikes me that if you didn’t care, you wouldn’t have complained

• purdueman - May 14, 2011 at 12:31 AM

ahealthy… I try not to get personal on this board, but in your case I’ll make an exception. ‘Eff you! No, I don’t care about the NHL (but I love international hockey which is of course free of staged goon fights to appease the hillbillies and trailer trash that frequent NHL arenas just for the fights).

I was interesting in what city the Winter Classic was being held in, and the idiot who posted the blog apparently didn’t know any more than I did.

7. missthemexpos - May 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Why not hold the game on Christmas Day so Santa Claus can get booed.

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. J. Hammel (2450)