May 13, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Diagnosed with a sprained ulnar collateral elbow ligament earlier this week, Aardsma will be shut down for a month in an attempt to avoid undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Not immediately requiring surgery qualifies as good news, but as Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes “it’s going to be a long time before he’s ready to pitch again” and any setbacks would mean going under the knife still lingers as a down-the-road possibility.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 44
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)