Dodgers attendance is down over 7,000 per game

May 13, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT

Arizona Diamondbacks v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

Attendance is down across baseball this year. On average it’s down on the order of a few hundred a game. In Los Angeles, however, things are way worse: 7,268 fans a game off the 2010 pace for the Dodgers.  And, as Steve Dilbeck reminds us, that’s just in official attendance, not actual turnstile numbers, which Major League Baseball doesn’t report.  Dodger Stadium has looked way emptier than the numbers suggest.

Dillbeck suspects, based on comments to his blog, that there’s a fan boycott afoot related to the McCourt fiasco. I’m somewhat skeptical simply because fan boycotts rarely if ever gain real traction, even if organized and endorsed by influential media voices (ask the talk radio people who tried to organize them with respect to the Mets and the Detroit Lions in recent years).  Yes, I’m sure there are some people avoiding games in Los Angeles because of their McCourt distaste, but I bet the pall cast Bryan Stow beating, the unexciting hot stove season for the Dodgers and the middling-at-best prospects for the playoffs this year have more to do with it.

But whether there truly is a boycott or not, I totally whiffed on a grandstanding opportunity.  After I wrote something about the McCourts last winter, one of my best friends sent me an email in which he — half-jokingly, but not really — suggested that I try to organize an anti-McCourt Dodgers’ boycott.  I think he had the best interests of my media profile in greater mind than the fate of the Dodgers, but man, if I had listened to him and done a half dozen posts arguing for such a boycott and maybe printing up t-shirts and stuff I could totally be claiming credit for the plunge in Dodgers attendance so far this year.  And now I could be issuing demands and getting phat talking head gigs on TV.

Sigh. Lost opportunities.

1. yankeesfanlen - May 13, 2011 at 12:17 PM

What?1?! You dally with Tiffany AND print t-shirts in your basement! Where your kids play with their toys and Mrs. Shyster does laundry!

2. Jonny 5 - May 13, 2011 at 12:18 PM

And then Frank McCourt would be suing NBC and Craig Calcaterra for the obvious orchestrated attack on his ability to be profitable.

3. Charles Gates - May 13, 2011 at 12:25 PM

T-Shirts:
    * I didn’t see a Dodgers game and all I got was this t-shirt.
    * I dodge the Dodgers.
    * Trading for Vernon Wells > McCourt’s ideas
    * I divorced the Dodgers
    * Crazier: Jamie McCourt wanting part of the Dodgers or me caring?

4. mondzy805 - May 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM

As a True Blue Dodger fan, I’m not showing up to another game while Frank McCourt is the owner of the Dodgers. He should have never been allowed to buy the team in the 1st place. He has sticky fingers and has brought shame, to our once mighty franchise. Bud, please run this guy back to Boston and his wife, too. Their a disgrace to all of us Dodgers fans. We had enough of his cheap ways and him taking out funds from the team to pay his divorce lawyers.

5. horpythemad - May 13, 2011 at 1:17 PM

I’m no math guy, but attendance is down by 200 across baseball, and 7,268 in LA. There’s 30 MLB teams. 7,268/30 = 242 (rounding down). So the Dodgers would cause a decrease across baseball of 242 solely. So doesn’t that mean attendance is up for every team not named the Dodgers?

• clydeserra - May 13, 2011 at 3:59 PM

little more complicated, but yeah

6. SmackSaw - May 13, 2011 at 1:26 PM

L.A. is a Cool town. It’s no longer Cool to be a Dodger fan. Dodger games are not Cool. Once their sold, it will become Cool again.

7. joecool16280 - May 13, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Surprised they haven’t found those thugs who beat Stowe yet. Criminals are usually pretty stupid.

• jwbiii - May 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM

I just heard on the radio that there are several billboards up around LA with sketches of the suspects and “$100K REWARD” on them. I’m guessing Arte Moreno had something to do with this.

8. deathmonkey41 - May 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Are they counting the LA fans after they show up late, but before they leave early?

9. cup0pizza - May 14, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Crappiest owner, but don’t forget the G.M. is the league’s worst yet somehow still employed and the team is BORING. Recipe for disaster.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win