Luke Gregerson has a cool car

May 13, 2011, 11:10 AM EDT

Better off dead

There’s not a lot going on yet today, so we have a few moments to contemplate Padres’ reliever Luke Gregerson‘s car, a picture of which you can see here.  Yeah, it’s a black ’67 Camaro, which makes Gregerson my new favorite relief pitcher not named Jonny Venters.

I’ve been in love with that car ever since I saw Lane Meyer fix his up with that French exchange student in “Better Off Dead.”  More of which you can learn about here.  Although, if you’ll note in the pic to this post, his Camaro was more of a Dodgers fan than Padres.

1. yankeesfanlen - May 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Whatever happened to retractable headlights? They were so much fun to open in -10 degree weather.

2. Jonny 5 - May 13, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I like the 67 best of the Camaros as well. My brother in law has a nice 67 ragtop SS. But I’m more of a Mustang fan as far as muscle cars go. Something about the original pony car……

• yankeesfanlen - May 13, 2011 at 11:49 AM

FoMoCo buddy- how about this

or this-

• Jonny 5 - May 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Haha, a big boat fan you are sir… Which is cool. Of the big cars I prefer an earlier vintage myself.

the big brother to this drag strip warrior

• yankeesfanlen - May 13, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Had one of these in HS-

That 352 was a dog though, luckily they went to 351 off small block 289/302. But Clevelands were horrible.

Let’s start an HBT Car Club. BTW, is that picture doctored? Only 390s back then had the insignia behind the front wheels.

• yankeesfanlen - May 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM

No, wait, I’m wrong. The insignia on the car is vertical, the 390s went from N/E to S/W.

• Jonny 5 - May 13, 2011 at 2:11 PM

No, I’ve seen them with the289, and 427 in 1964. Fairlanes didn’t get a 390 until 1966, 65 was a 289 or smaller . The Galaxies had everything though. And I’ve seen the emblem used on every combo besides the 6 cyl. My uncle had a 64 Galaxie rag top with the drag pack option. 427 side oiler, 2 -4 barrel carbs, 4 speed, ladder bars, all factory. He sold it cheap, now it’s worth about 60 g’s. He’s still sick about that.

3. marshmallowsnake - May 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Better Off Dead was one of my favorite movies as a kid…I watched it again a few years back and was not impressed… It looked like it was made for TWO DOLLARS!!!!!

4. mattraw - May 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I’m now picturing Kaz Matsui and Ichiro rolling up on Gregerson at a red light, doing their best Cosell voices.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3685)