May 13, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT
Magglio Ordonez has struggled mightily coming back from the fractured ankle that ended his 2010 season in July, hitting just .172 with one homer in 26 games, and today the Tigers placed him on the disabled list.
Obviously his production at the plate has been non-existent, but the fact that Ordonez has to take his bum ankle out to right field regularly whenever he’s in the lineup because Victor Martinez is taking most of the designated hitter starts will also play a factor in how long the 37-year-old will be shut down this time.
Andy Dirks was called up from Triple-A to take Ordonez’s spot on the roster, but Brennan Boesch will take over as the primary right fielder with Ryan Raburn staying in left field. Ordonez re-signed with Detroit for a one-year, $10 million deal after the Tigers declined their $15 million team option.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)