May 13, 2011, 3:47 PM EST
Magglio Ordonez has struggled mightily coming back from the fractured ankle that ended his 2010 season in July, hitting just .172 with one homer in 26 games, and today the Tigers placed him on the disabled list.
Obviously his production at the plate has been non-existent, but the fact that Ordonez has to take his bum ankle out to right field regularly whenever he’s in the lineup because Victor Martinez is taking most of the designated hitter starts will also play a factor in how long the 37-year-old will be shut down this time.
Andy Dirks was called up from Triple-A to take Ordonez’s spot on the roster, but Brennan Boesch will take over as the primary right fielder with Ryan Raburn staying in left field. Ordonez re-signed with Detroit for a one-year, $10 million deal after the Tigers declined their $15 million team option.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)