May 13, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
League took his first loss of the season Sunday by allowing three runs, blew a save and took a loss in the 13th inning Tuesday, and then blew another save and took a third straight loss in the 12th inning last night.
Through his first 14 appearances of the season League had a 2.08 ERA and 10/2 K/BB ratio in 13 innings while converting 9-of-9 save opportunities. In his last three appearance he’s 0-3 with two blown saves and a 27.00 ERA, coughing up seven runs while recording seven outs.
Any thoughts of replacing League as closer are complicated by the fact that Aardsma’s recovery from hip surgery has now given way to what could be a significant elbow injury, meaning he won’t be back any time soon. Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times also suggests that warming up multiple times in extra-inning games and being asked to pitch more than one inning may have contributed to League’s struggles. And the defense didn’t do him any favors either.
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 44
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 149
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (150)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)