May 13, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
League took his first loss of the season Sunday by allowing three runs, blew a save and took a loss in the 13th inning Tuesday, and then blew another save and took a third straight loss in the 12th inning last night.
Through his first 14 appearances of the season League had a 2.08 ERA and 10/2 K/BB ratio in 13 innings while converting 9-of-9 save opportunities. In his last three appearance he’s 0-3 with two blown saves and a 27.00 ERA, coughing up seven runs while recording seven outs.
Any thoughts of replacing League as closer are complicated by the fact that Aardsma’s recovery from hip surgery has now given way to what could be a significant elbow injury, meaning he won’t be back any time soon. Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times also suggests that warming up multiple times in extra-inning games and being asked to pitch more than one inning may have contributed to League’s struggles. And the defense didn’t do him any favors either.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (94)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (83)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)