May 13, 2011, 12:14 PM EST
Roy Oswalt‘s stay on the disabled list may not be as short as initially hoped and Chase Utley still isn’t ready to return from knee problems, but the Phillies will at least have Carlos Ruiz back in the lineup tonight.
Ruiz has been activated from the DL after missing the past 12 games with a strained lower back and his return comes at a particularly good time because the Phillies placed backup catcher Brian Schneider on the DL with a hamstring injury yesterday.
Ruiz, who hit just .226 with two homers and a .681 OPS in 21 games before the injury, will resume starting 4-5 times per week behind the plate with Dane Sardinha replacing Schneider as Chooch’s understudy.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)