May 13, 2011, 12:14 PM EDT
Roy Oswalt‘s stay on the disabled list may not be as short as initially hoped and Chase Utley still isn’t ready to return from knee problems, but the Phillies will at least have Carlos Ruiz back in the lineup tonight.
Ruiz has been activated from the DL after missing the past 12 games with a strained lower back and his return comes at a particularly good time because the Phillies placed backup catcher Brian Schneider on the DL with a hamstring injury yesterday.
Ruiz, who hit just .226 with two homers and a .681 OPS in 21 games before the injury, will resume starting 4-5 times per week behind the plate with Dane Sardinha replacing Schneider as Chooch’s understudy.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69