May 13, 2011, 7:42 PM EST
Feliz was granted his release by the Royals after batting .167/.286/.375 in 24 at-bats during spring training. The 36-year-old third baseman batted just .218/.240/.293 with five home runs and 40 RBI over 429 plate appearances between the Astros and Cardinals last season. His .533 OPS was the lowest among players with at least 400 plate appearances. And while he has earned the reputation as a solid gloveman, even his defense showed signs of decline.
The Marlins quickly shot down talk of adding Feliz before the start of the season, so there just doesn’t appear to be a good fit with a major league club right now. Or maybe ever again.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)