Roger McDowell returns to the Braves

May 13, 2011, 4:18 PM EST

Atlanta Braves Photo Day Getty Images

Just in time for Baseball’s Civil Rights Weekend celebrations in Atlanta, Roger McDowell, the Braves’ gay-slurring pitching coach, returns from his suspension today:

An emotional Roger McDowell has returned from his two-week suspension and is vowing he won’t repeat the inappropriate comments and crude gestures he made to fans that led to his punishment by Major League Baseball. McDowell’s eyes were red as he apologized Friday “to anyone who was offended by my actions.” He struggled to remain composed while he talked about his return as the Braves’ pitching coach.

In other news, the Braves record and team ERA was better in McDowell’s absence than it was before his suspension. But let us not equate correlation and causation.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I bet he doesn’t repeat those comments again, b/c he’ll get fired. Amazing how folks learn their lesson when their job is on the line. Probably should have been canned to begin with.

• Matthew Flint - May 13, 2011 at 4:48 PM

You’re right. I can think of no other job where there wouldn’t be a zero tolerance for actions like this.

2. trevorb06 - May 13, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Craig,

Thank you for not using the word homophobic or any variation of it. :-)

McDowell still doesn’t deserve to keep his job though.

3. 5thbase - May 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I would have more respect for the guy had he resigned citing the enormous distraction and horrible representative of the organization he had been. He could have taken the high road and come back in a few years and mostly everyone would forgive him by then.

Well at least the signs at Braves road games will be interesting.

4. bigtrav425 - May 13, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Unjustly suspended should be in this article somewhere.But what else would ya expect in this overly politically correct nation we live in anymore.Its amazing how sensitive people are to words….

• cur68 - May 14, 2011 at 12:14 AM

bigtrave425; you’re a douche*. Now you won’t respond to that unless you are amazingly sensitive to words…

*and the bag it came in.

5. jlinatl - May 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I usually am not in favor of firing someone for 1 stupid mistake… but the kid part of it really drives me crazy. The Braves have showed a lack of courage by not taking more of a stand. They have remained pretty quiet.

• micker716 - May 13, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I would completely agree, if I hadn’t seen this from Gloria Allred’s press conference with the entire family present, including the two young kids:

Once I hear the name “Gloria Allred” I automatically question the victims motives.

• jlinatl - May 13, 2011 at 11:09 PM

The Gloria Allred situation disgusts me. But she disgusts me pretty much with everything she does. The worst type of attention seeking lawyer.

I think how the Braves handle it and how the family handles it are separate issues. I can’t call for the dad to be fired although if I could…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester