May 13, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
Ryan Dempster has to be feeling pretty good about himself at this point. He struck out 11 Friday in beating the Giants. It was his third straight quality start, as he allowed a total of two runs in six innings.
And lowered his ERA to 6.71.
That’s how bad Dempster’s April was. He gave up at least four runs in each of his six outings, culminating in a career low April 28 against the Dodgers. In that meltdown, he was charged with seven runs in one-third of an inning, taking his ERA to 9.58.
Now the long trial to bring it down has begun. He lowered it to 8.05 by holding the Dodgers to one run in seven innings on May 3. On May 8, he gave up two runs over seven innings against the Reds, putting him at 7.20. The margins keep getting smaller, though. Friday’s win knocked him down only half a run.
Dempster finished last year with a 3.85 ERA in 215 1/3 innings.
To finish that well this year, he’d have to give up 54 runs in 164 1/34 innings the rest of the way, a 2.96 mark.
In 2009, he came in at 3.65 in 200 IP.
To match that, he’d have to allow 43 runs in 149 innings, a 2.60 mark.
In 2008, Dempster came in at 2.96 over 206 2/3 innings.
That seems unreachable. He’d have to pitch 155 2/3 innings at a 1.73 mark to duplicate that number.
Dempster is certainly on the right path now. His 11 strikeouts Friday were his most since June 11, 2008. His slider and, more inportantly, his confidence are back.
As for his numbers, well, they’ve got a ways to go.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)